User Stats

Votes
Layton Mor
Votes |
First time buyer Water question

Layton Mor
Posted Jan 20 2024, 14:39

Hello,

I am purchasing my first home and super excited but Im worried about my water. 

I am buying a 1997 remodeled manufactured home with my own well. Inside the house the toilets and bathtub have yellow water. Its already kinda stained the toilet. When you open the toilet cover there is an oily filmy substance....hard for me to explain. I will try to attach pictures.   It has already passed the water test.

My question is, is this something I have to worry about right now or ever? 

Would appreciate any input at all. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Jan 20 2024, 14:51

@Layton Mor

I would get your water tested, and not some Home Depot take home test kit.

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Gray
  • Realtor
  • Washington
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Washington
Replied Jan 24 2024, 11:16

Is the water discolored using the sink or the shower? Looking at the tank of the toilet it needs to be cleaned out. 

If the house is on a well and you want to have your system tested i recommend local well drillers, they usually install filters, softeners and other systems if needed. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Layton Mor
Votes |
Replied Jan 24 2024, 11:51
Quote from @Thomas Gray:

Is the water discolored using the sink or the shower? Looking at the tank of the toilet it needs to be cleaned out. 

If the house is on a well and you want to have your system tested i recommend local well drillers, they usually install filters, softeners and other systems if needed. 

OK, wanted to update.      The house is on a well that was put in October'23.   I just went there this morning and took a bottle sample of water straight from the well and water from the kitchen sink.  I will add both pics. 

So, clearly the water form the well seems to be good to go. I AM! testing for Bacteria and Nitrite. Have not got results back yet.  

My question now is, what to do from here? Water from the ground is good so does that mean that the pipes from the well to and in the house are bad? Can I clean them somehow?

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Gray
  • Realtor
  • Washington
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Washington
Replied Jan 24 2024, 12:09

How old is the pluming in the house? Its not uncommon for galivanted pipes to get corroded/rusted and taint water. One sign that the pluming is corroded is low water pressure? When severely corroded the pressure will drop from room to room as it travels further. 

My other thought is that their may be a cistern or holding tank that needs replaced/cleaned. 

User Stats

Votes
Layton Mor
Votes |
Replied Jan 24 2024, 12:16

Copy that and thanks for the responses Thomas.

So, is cleaning the pipes or holding tank... is that the shocking the well? I keep seeing that around online. 

As far as the water pressure, I do have equal pressure throughout the house. The only oddball thing I have right now is the master bedroom bathtub drains slowly. I was going to try draino on it.  But the whole house drains just fine except that tub.  The septic hasnt been drained yet either so maybe thats a cause for that.

User Stats

Votes
Alan F.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Replied Jan 24 2024, 12:46
Quote from @Layton Mor:

Copy that and thanks for the responses Thomas.

So, is cleaning the pipes or holding tank... is that the shocking the well? I keep seeing that around online. 

As far as the water pressure, I do have equal pressure throughout the house. The only oddball thing I have right now is the master bedroom bathtub drains slowly. I was going to try draino on it.  But the whole house drains just fine except that tub.  The septic hasnt been drained yet either so maybe thats a cause for that.

IMO all wells should have some sort of conditioning prior to point of use. This could be media, filtration at various micron including possibly activated carbon and I use a softener and potassium chloride for regenerative. If there is a holding tank as a buffer, hopefully it was designed to maximize head pressure. Wells direct to end users use expansion tanks for PSI. Personally I would have the water tested by a 3rd party & include nitrate testing. You can easily learn to test after initial testing, hatch & other companies make very accurate kits, that once you've been trained are great.