Home Owner Association (HOA) Issues & Problems

User Stats

Votes
Elisha Eubanks
  • Homeowner
  • Issaquah, WA (near Seattle)
Votes |
HOA Leaking Deck for 17 months, still not fixed!

Elisha Eubanks
  • Homeowner
  • Issaquah, WA (near Seattle)
Posted Dec 31 2021, 14:30

TIA for your help. I need guidance on what I should do and maybe a recomendation for a good HOA Lawyer.

I purchased a condo, with a rental unit below. In August of 2020, I noticed some water stains and water dripping from the ceiling in my garage. Above the garage is a deck, which is the responsibility of the HOA. I notified the HOA immediately. They sent someone out to look at it, but a temporary solution in place, which only caused more water to leak. They have had several people out to look at the deck. Apparently, this was a known issue. They told me that they tried to get this issue fixed when the community was still under builder's warranty, but didn't get enough votes from the community, so they just fixed it thinking it was sufficient. Well it turns out that fix was not sufficient and the deck has been leaking ever since. So much so, that the wood is rotted and it is a support beam for the 2nd and 3rd floors. So, they called out a structural engineer. In the meantime they sent the contractor out again and tarped up my wall of my deck and put support beams in my garage. They told me not to use my deck or my garage. They have finally determined they think it can be fixed, they got the 3 bids, and picked the same company that did the original repair and the other 2 make shift repairs. Which I discovered this morning that their latest make shift repair is now causing water to leak into my bathroom. And to top it all off, they say I have to pay for it all (around $30,000). They say, since this is only impacting my house and my neighbor's house 2 doors down, it is not fair to make the entire community pay for it. So I will be assessed for all of it. I was in such shock!! I called a lwayer back in Feburary and he told me to call my insurance company, they just paid a claim (only $1700 to fix the drywall damage in the garage) and never sent anyone out or even called the HOA. I also called my own contractors, because I was just going to fix it myself, but they said because it was an HOA situation they would have to get special approval or something, which is nearly impossible. So, basically I am stuck with the horrible contractor the HOA wants to use and they expect me to pay for it all. I pay nearly $400 a month in dues, and they have not taken very good care of our property. I have 3 dead bushes, paint peeling all over the outside, and now a roof leak, which they tried to fix, but surprise, surprise, it is still leaking. This just doesn't seem right. I am not sure what to do?? Any help would be much appreciated!

Loading replies...