Unprofessional HOA manager

5 Replies

My personal residence is in a somewhat stabilized neighborhood (after price points dropped from $150M to $110M). I haven't been active in the annual meetings and plan to be going forward. The current property manager running the HOA sent us our bill for annual dues in February. The bill was completely unprofessional. The envelope had a PO Box as a return address (not an issue) and the invoice was blank except for two lines; one saying _____ HOA dues of ______ and the other saying "Due by March 31, 2014". Now, I'm reasonably certain that this is the actual bill, they're due the same time each year, but I can't accept sending my money into this person with no real way to document who it was sent to, etc. The envelope nor the invoice stated who was collecting this money and I had to scrounge up the contact details from one of my neighbors on the HOA board. I sent an email and voicemail in February asking for the person to get back in touch with me and have not heard a thing. Needless to say I haven't sent in my money and technically past due.

What would the greater minds of BP recommend I do from here?

Just pay it with check so you can verify when and by whom it is cashed. Then you can forget about for a year. HOAs are not worth any of your precious life energy, unless you a are planning to be on the board. I'm on my 3rd HOA deal and I just do what they ask and don't question how inefficient or stupid or unprofessional it is.

Thanks. It just seems like there is an opportunity for an HOA management company with integrity and transparency, such as including a detailed explanation of total receipts and expenditures for the prior year with your annual bill. Or do people just not care enough?

I'm sure the annual budget is available, and has probably been sent to you before, but that wouldn't be an attachment to your invoice.

Well, something might be available, but not being able to get in touch with the people who hold it as "available" makes it not so. That's my predicament.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you