Can a HOA restrict subletting to roommates?

10 Replies

Hey!

Hopefully a quick question - I know some HOAs limit how many units in the association are rented vs. owner occupied. I'm looking into purchasing a large condo or townhome (3+ bedrooms) on the cheap, investing some sweat equity and renting the extra spaces out to roommates to pack away equity and produce extra cash flow that can be invested in future properties. 

I was talking with my mom, who suggested that a picky HOA could restrict who else lives in the townhome besides the owner occupant. For example, ok to have family living with you for free or helping out with mortgage payments, but not ok to charge rent to roommates. Is this actually possible? Could an HOA cause problems with someone renting extra rooms?

Very curious on this one... Thanks for reading!

Only way to know for sure is to read the HOA bylaws.

Well, of course - but is it common for this to be limited? Has anyone else run into it? That is the question. 

HOAs have all sorts of rules and regulations.  There truly is no way to be sure except to read the bylaws for a specific project.

One condo I looked at wanted to qualify every resident.  As in each individual in the units. Maybe illegal, but wasn't worth the fight. 

Yes- even my lease does that :)

Well that's a bummer - and something important to consider for me, moving forward.

Thanks for answering!

Stay away from properties with HOA - unless you are the one creating the HOA. You'll thank me later :)

I hate HOA's! But it's so hard....if you want to be in a condo not to have one!

Yep especially here in Florida we have so many HOA's. Some are more investor friendly than others in general it can be frustrating.

Renting, is renting.  Read the bylaws, and renter approval process, if allowed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here