Special assessment Texas condos (2.2k in 3 months??)

4 Replies

looking for advice/help on my rental property. Received notification that a special assessment has passed (no proof of member agreement only letter from hoa management company). It's for an out side remodel 40 units 3 sizes so. Mine is the larger and they are making us pay.

740.00 per month for the next 3 months. 

This is on top of the 275.00 monthly fees. 

Is this legal? 

If so I don't have the money right now what are my options. 

Thank you 

Sorry about your news. It depends on your HOA docs and whether proper protocol was followed. Yes, it can normally be done-not sure about the short term for payment. I've been very vocal on here. I've owned over 1000 SFRs and only a single condo. This is the reason why. Good luck.

Rich

I don't think there's anything you can do to get out of paying it, but you might be able to ask if you can pay it over a longer term.  Not sure if that will work, but it's worth asking.  If they tell you no, you're no worse off than you are today.

Medium 57814a 906733c79c9941ca93b889a2b1296837 mv2William Murrell, Murrell Properties | 910‑777‑7175 | http://www.murrellproperties.com

I don't have much to offer here. There may not have been a member vote because they didn't need one. I have one SFR in an HOA and haven't had any special assessments. But every year they send out a budget showing the various income and expenses as well as future maintenance required to improvements and their remaining service life (road, pool, fencing, pool furniture, tree trimming, signs....) and their expected replacement date. There isn't a vote on the budget necessarily, but it does go out prior to an annual meeting to vote for board members. So if I had an objection to an item listed that is when I would plan on bringing it up. After that point I think it's kind of an agreement by lack of objection.

The HOA manager is tasked with maintaining the property and it sounds like that is exactly what they are doing. This isn't the same (IMO) as if this assessment was for some kind of "new" or "unplanned" expense. Ultimately your CC&R's will spell everything out, but it doesn't sound out of line to me. This is why I dislike owning in an HOA, even a better one like where I own currently.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you