HOW TO FIND OUT IF HOA IS FORECLOSING ON PROPERTY

10 Replies

Is there a way to find out if a property is in sometype of HOA foreclosure. your insight is appreciated. And I have a deal hanging off of this info.

You should know how to research the local records. An HOA foreclosure filing will appear where mtg Foreclosures appear. A title search would reveal a foreclosure filing, but you should be able to find it on your own. If there are simply past dues owed and no lien or foreclosure has been filed, you'll need to contact the HOA to find out.

I've trolled through Public Records did not see anything on their except some back taxes. And I've contacted HOA and this will not talk to me directly without me having a limited Power of Attorney. I need some questions answered about whats on owed on property before I move forward I will talk to my Closing Attorney to see what else I can do on my own before I move forward with this purchase.

LR

A closing attorney/title co. can usually get a pay off, usually having to pay for an estoppel letter.  If there is a contract with a closing date anticipated, they can definitely get one.

All info can be obtained by researching public records. Most counties provide search by document type, last name and first time, data range etc. 

We're assuming here there is no foreclosure, or lien, filed as OP did a search. The concern will be past HOA dues, when no lien has been filed yet. Sometimes they let them go a year or two without filing a lien.

Maybe this is obvious and not an option, but have you tried calling the management company for the building and asking whether the account for this unit is current? Although they technically aren't supposed to release this info, sometimes they will give you a yes or no answer on stuff like this, especially if you tell them you're trying to purchase the unit.

@Lance Robinson Im not sure if its true in any state but here in CT, you can request a "Resale Package" which is provided by the management company and details the 'life' of the condo association: master insurance, foreclosures, exact HOA fee for the unit you are interested in ( fees posted on MLS are sometimes incorrect), units that are behind with their HOA fees, upgrade needed ( think parking, boiler, roof, windows, etc) , funds in HOA account, potential special assessment etc... basically everything you need to know about the unit you are interested in as well as the association in general.

The resale package, or resale document as it may be called elsewhere, is provided at a cost. Here its about $225. In CT, you can decline to close on a condo for any reason and your deposit will be returned.

Civil Court Records .. or simply call the HOA board.

Such a great person this one is, I am the one who found out the house had an HOA in Leiu of foreclosure, when I was researching it to buy it. Lance yanked the rug out from underneath me on this deal. He verbally agreed to sale it to me even after I found the issue with the HOA, I needed the contract on Monday, the week before Labor Day weekend and then he didn't get it over to me until Wednesday night, really dragging his feet for another buyer im sure. Lance is a terrible person and I would go into more details but I recommend staying away from this liar, he is the poster boy of what not to be as an investor! He costed me 1300, plus the loss potential profit from the deal.

I recently had a similar matter in Orlando, FL.  I needed to find out if the property had a foreclosure and any liens.  I found all information needed on the county website - public records.  You will need the property address and owner's name.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here