forming hoa

3 Replies

I have a four-plex that I would like to turn into four condos. I am in small market where apartment market is overbuilt, but housing market is stable, and good demand for small condos. I realize this will cost some legal fees and seeding the HOA account. I have a lawyer lined out with experience in doing this. Before I start moving forward, any suggestions or recommendations? Suggested books on topic? Thanks all.

Ok Patrick, now we definitely have to get together to discuss because I'm thinking a long the same line with my two quads in BZN. I know a guy here in Livingston who I heard did something similar so I've been meaning to get with him but I've been distracted with this deal I've been involved in. Sounds like you're further down the road with it than I am.

I'm not so sure the apartment market is overbuilt here yet though. My last vacancy had over 70 people come to four showings in a week.  

I just realized this was posted on awhile ago. Really, no help on this?

HOA docs are pretty boiler plate, at least here in MD so as long as your attorney is experienced, it shouldn't be too dramatic. Just get game good master policy and be ready to serve on the BOD. Since you only have 4 units, I'm not quite sure how you would handled turnover.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.