The Association Board of Directors Causes Sever Problems

5 Replies

Hello All, I ran into something that I don't know how to handle. I have three rental condos at the same building in Florida. It's a 36 unit building run by the Board of Directors with some help from a Management Company. For about 10 days the building's water heater is out of service, so there is no hot water in every unit of the building. My tenants are calling and writing me email every day. People in the building are angry and frustrated. The President of the Board never wrote any explanation to anybody and today he left for vacation. I've contacted the Board member and he told me that there is a new Board policy that states that only the President or the Management company are authorized to speak on the Board's behalf. The Management Company doesn't know anything about this project because since the beginning it has been handled by the Board. The tenants are going insane and they are in Florida and I'm in Maryland. What do I do? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Keep calling, or enlist your tenant's help in talking to/inquiring with other residents.  Somebody knows what's going on.

Thank you, Wayne, but that's exactly what I was doing for the past 10 days. I have a roster of all the occupants, including the seven members of the Board. I've been righting to them EVERY SINGLE day, still no result and no answer. The Board of Directors is a final authority, so I'm not sure how to deal with that. There is nobody above them, they are doing whatever they want. 

Essentially, what I'm asking is what is the procedure to keep the Board accountable for an action or lack of thereof? Thank you!

I don't know what the procedure is in Florida but in Montgomery County, there is a governmental agency called the CCOC.  It's designed specifically to settle disputes between residents and associations/landlords and this case would certainly be one that sounds to be up their alley.  Not sure what the solution is in FL except threaten to seek legal action as I would imagine that it's a law that a building needs to provide hot water.  Unless they had to entirely replace the unit (and even then it's a stretch), I don't know what would be taking 10 days to fix.  I've had several $11k water heaters replaced within two days of complete failures so my assumption is that someone is dropping the ball somewhere.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.