Another HOA question (Central Florida)

4 Replies

Hello BP's!  

I know this is for investing questions but I am asking for some personal advice. I am looking for my SFH here in Central ,FL (Seminole County) and it seems that 90% of the houses that I'm interested in have some type of HOA's. When I ask my realtor for the HOA handbook for a specific property , her response is that it will only cover the streetlights and street repair. Isn't this the responsibility of the city/county? Is this typical? Where can I get the rulebook/handbook etc? I like working with my realtor but this is making me skeptical.

Association declarations, and amendments, are recorded. You can find them at the county Clerk Of Court, Official Records search, where you will search by name...association legal name. As for the streets, etc., it will depend. In most gated communities, the streets are private, owned by the development and not given over to the county....in order to allow them to be gated./closed off. The HOA will take care of any common amenities....pool, club house, park area, et.

Hi Victor,

I would also find out who the HOA management company is and check out their website.

I have been able to find declarations, bylaws, and other legal docs in their websites without the need to log in.

I am in Orlando as well, let me know if I can help.

HOAs responsibilities depend the community.  If you are really interested in a particular house, I would ask the seller for the docs.  They should have them handy since they are obligated to provide them prior to closing.

Thank you all for your input. I will use the information provided to research the HOA's in more depth.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you