Help! Security advice needed for our HOA

2 Replies

I recently bought some condos and now become the biggest holder of that condominium. The ROI is pretty good and it's in a central but not safe area of the town. It's been 3 wks since I took over those units, I received many tenants' complaining about the community's safety, they are afraid of going out at dark, many homeless people, criminals from outside are active at night in the community ... The community has iron fence surrounded but with open gate, it's free of access. I am calling for an immediate HOA board meeting next week to address many issues and safety is top 1. As of now, the HOA is paying Police $2600 per month ask them to patrol the community 7am-11pm. As I go check the community almost everyday during the past 3 wks, I only saw one police car coming in then turn around and disappeared in 20 seconds. The maintenance guy said he barely sees them coming. Now the police said if we need more frequent visit, we need to double the payment, but if I dont see them now, how can they guarantee what we get for what we are paying for? I was thinking about hiring armed Security guards 24 hrs, then the property manager warned me it wont work as those security guards will become friends of drug dealers in a few days... All the units are individually owned while many owners dont care what their tenants do as long as they pay the rent... I then think we should install auto gate opener at lease not allowing every car to get in, then people said what if it got hit by car then no one can get out/in... How about installing security cameras ? Those criminals will shot them off in a day..... I am now running out of idea how to make the community safer as summer is on the way, with more teens in the area running around everyday, I am afraid the situation might get worse. I do want to protect the community even I get lots people on waiting list, 100% occupancy. I cant get collect rent without doing anything to protect my tenants. Your comments are highly appreciated.

How about starting a community watch and getting the police department invovled in that? As far as cameras go, I know here in Baltimore the police can install cameras on top of light poles with a bright blue blinking light to monitor. It doesn't solve the crime problem because the criminals/drug dealers just move to a different corner. But, it does get them away from that location.

Good luck.

I would revisit the deal with the police.  Here in NJ, if you pay police, via the union rep, you get off duty officers in uniform working what would be considered over time or a side job.  They can use a car, radio and are backed by union insurance.  You own them for the time you are paying them.  

Encourage everyone to keep calling the police and being a loud voice.  Each call is recorded and there is a record.  Eventually they won't want a case built against them of neglect, especially in this anti-cop sentiment building.  

Marty Happle

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
    • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
    • Learn how to get started with or without money,
    • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
    • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.