Financing HELP!!!

4 Replies

So i was approved for financing with Wells fargo and 5 days before closing they say they will not approve the loan because the property HOA delinquency is too high. Do i find another bank to finance or take it as a sign that i shouldnt invest in this property. so confused?

My 2cents - do not invest in HOA community property, and if you do, make sure that they have an outstanding reserve study, no or very minimum delinquency and up to date maintenance. (CapEx maintenance schedule)

Best,

Kyle

Talia Woods HOAs can be mighty good investments for a multitude of reasons, but we won't go into that. Almost any bank will have an issue with a high delinquency rate for the HOA. If a large bank like Wells won't do the loan, I would fancy to say you will have issues getting commit to close from another. Hopefully you don't have too much time and/or money involved - you should get your earnest money back at least. Good luck

It's not a Wells Fargo issue, it's a FHA/conventional underwriting issue.

I manage 11 condo/coop/HOA associations in DC. I would shy away from most properties with high delinquency rates for a variety of reasons, namely that this often leads to other, deeper issues including special assessments, higher increases in condo fees, deferred maintenance, etc. That's not the case across the board and it may simply be an issue where the association isn't aggressive enough in collecting past due balances but I've found that not to be the case most of the time. I'd keep looking if I were in your shoes. Let me know if I can help with anything.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.