Finding an HOA and their Contact Details

11 Replies

G'day everyone

Anyone know how to find an HOA when you only have the property address?

I'm researching a SFR property that is off-market and then realized that it's in a gated community here in South Florida.

I want to find out who the HOA would be, get their contact details and ask about any outstanding fees and what their CCR's are.

Thanks in advance

@Simon Asher

The seller should be able to provide you with those documents.  Also ask for the entire by laws and read them front to back.  You should also ask for 3 years of financials and meeting minutes

Is there a neighborhood website? Many time I Google the neighborhood and city and I can find a website or some documents that link back to a HOA. Also check the Secretary of State website for the HOA registered agent.

If you know or can find out the name of the subdivision, try Googling that. The offices of the HOA may come up among the search results: Home Owner's Association.

@Wayne Brooks

@Steve Combs

@David Dachtera

Thanks guys great suggestions! I actually used a combination of those to find the HOA.

What I did was go to Google Maps - I couldn't get the street view of the house because the google car can't drive through the gated community - so I used the little yellow man to identify where the street view would be for the front gates of the community. Fortunately it has the name of the gated community at the main entrance. So I took that 'Carriage Pointe Estates' and then went to SunBiz.org. I entered that in and found all the businesses with that name & found the HOA in that short list.

Thanks again guys - really nice to have your help.

Hi Simon, 

I know you found the answer already but here's an easier way to find it next time...

The tax deed files in Florida have a title search among the records so the HOA info will be in there.

The other option is to ask a neighbor in the subdivision. I go see every property before I bid at the tax deed auction so I talk to the neighbors all the time and trust me they know ALL the juicy details about the house and owners. 

And another option... Look at the deed. The HOA is a restricted covenant so they are always listed on the owner's deed (which you will find in public records) if it was prepared by a title company or attorney.

Sorry I came across your post late. 

Good luck on that property. 

Happy Investing,

Sandra 

I've had luck just knocking on doors of neighbors and questioning them about the HOA. A lot of times they can even provide documentation for them to show the fees, assessments, minutes, etc. It's hit or miss though. You need to get lucky and knock on the door of someone who is nice and willing to help.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you