Having problems contacting HOA

5 Replies

Hi everyone! Here's the problem! We found a great rental property and investors for it.. We were ready to make an offer and start a due diligence, but first we wanted to contact HOA. Seller's agent is not giving HOA info. She said first HOA wants to meet with their lawyer to see what the lawyer would say about what to do with the property, sell or no. Our broker has the info but he says he can't give it to us bc it's unethical to go around the seller's agent and he has to wait until she gets back to him and update him on HOA meeting with their lawyer that meeting was held a week ago. Still no updates.. When our broker calls her she always says I'll update in a day or two, I still haven't heard from HOA. But we feel like it's a great deal and we need to move fast.. Is it a typical situation to have such a hard time to find HOA info and talk to them? Is it really unethical to go around seller's agent even if we try to find HOA info on our own and contact them straight? It's our first deal, so we don't really know the ethics of what's right/wrong!

What's the situation that "the HOA wants to talk to their lawyer to see what to do about the property", huh? Does the HOA own it, large back fees that need to be negotiated, etc.? If nothing else, make your offer, and your due due diligence/inspection period Begins when you receive whatever relevant information you're looking for from the HOA. The whole thing sounds odd, unless there's something going on you haven't mentioned. Does the HOA own it, due to a HOA foreclosure, and there's still an upside down mortgage on it?

@WayneBrooks it's 31 units building.. 15 tenants own the whole building.. And they all agreed on the price for how much to sell the property for.. But one of the tenants recently sold his 1 unit. And we wanted to meet with HOA to see if that can be undone or if we can buy new buyer out to own the whole property.. And I guess they wanted to talk to their lawyer about what to do and how to sell: the whole building or unit by unit.. We just wanted to let them know that we were ready to make an offer for the whole building, but we were not going to buy it if at least one unit was owned by someone else.. And I'm not even sure that their agent let them know that there is a possible offer coming.. She seems really incompetent and slow moving..

Well, if I were your buyer's agent, and the seller's agent couldn't/wouldn't supply any info, I'd simply call the HOA's attorney who is involved. After you give the seller's agent enough time, it's time to do what needs to be done. I don't see any ethical issues doing this. I don't any way an HOA could unwind an individual owner's sale though. Since you'd control the board shortly, I wouldn't be that concerned about the one unit owned by someone else though. If so, again I'd call that individual unit owner at this point point.

@Wayne Brooks That's what I was thinking.. And I wanted to find HOA info myself, and call them myself, not to wait on the agents, bc I need to make things happened, and I don't have a luxury of the time to wait until they do something.. And I didn't think it was unethical bc she had more than enough time to get updates. Plus, when one unit was sold she (seller's agent) has no idea about it.. And she is supposed to know everything about the property she represents. So I think I'm going to find the HOA info and contact them myself! Thank you for your response!

Go to the neighborhood talk to a homeowner there and ask them whats the name and contact for the HOA. I have actually done this before

FL Agent # SL3255845

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you