HOA Not responding to concern about tree

9 Replies

Hi! I have a tree in my front yard (hoa responsibility) that is now overhanging my 1 year old roof - there are branches rubbing against our roof. The HOA just contracted with a tree trimming services to trim the trees in the complex. I have been getting the run around about whether or not my tree will be trimmed. I am particularly concerned this year because I live in So Cal and experts are predicting a very harsh El Nino which will bring lots of wind and rain. I'm concerned about this tree damaging my roof and property if we get a series of intense storms. I have been contacting the HOA manager since June regarding this issue and have 2 emails from her stating that my condo is not on the list but that if the tree needs trimming it "will be taken care of", but now she cannot/will not tell me if my tree will be trimmed. I also have an email from the previous owner stating that she spoke to this same HOA manager and was told that it would be taken care of. Now it seems that she has dropped the ball and that my tree may not be getting trimmed. What can I do? Any advice would be appreciated!

It sounds like you have done what you can do for now. They have responded to your emails. They are aware of the concern. They may not feel it's an emergency. Has the tree done any damage yet? It sounds like all is fine and there is simply a possibility of damage in the future. 

The tree trimming in the complex is happening now though and despite numerous promises that "it will be taken care of" the tree in my yard is not on the to be trimmed list. If it's not trimmed during this go around it will likely be another year or two before the trees are trimmed. The tree is on my roof now! I pay my dues every month on time and the lack of follow through is very frustrating! The ironic thing is I'd be happy to trim the branches myself but I would get in trouble for doing so because it's the Hoas tree!

Trim the branches and tell them it was causing deterioration to the roof if they say anything.  If the hoa isn't responsible for the condition of the roof then they shouldn't mind that you take proactive measures to prevent roof rot.

Thanks @Jassem. That's kind of what I'm inclined to do at this point! Crazy thing is they ARE responsible for the roof (which is only 2 years old) so you'd think they'd want to prevent any damage!

Hi Kris,

Current HOA manager here!

Send a certified letter to management stating the recent emails and conversation regarding the tree trimming with them and it not being taken care of. Let them know that if it is not taken care of or if you are not given a date when it will be taken care of, you will be forced hire someone yourself and have them send the invoice to the HOA.

You have already taken all of the necessary steps, so good for you! There's no argument that I'd (management) would be able to make towards you unless i've given you a date as to when it would be trimmed and it has not lapsed.

-Also, I would even suggest contacting a board member and let them know whats going on. A lot of times, I'll get an email or phone call from a board member (Not often-but it has happened) and things get taken care of. Sort of like getting a little kick in the butt.

-Sydni

Sydni, I can't thank you enough for your help! I will send the certified letter! I hadn't thought that I could hire someone and have them bill the HOA but hopefully it doesn't come to that! Thanks again!

Originally posted by @Kris Duckett :

Sydni, I can't thank you enough for your help! I will send the certified letter! I hadn't thought that I could hire someone and have them bill the HOA but hopefully it doesn't come to that! Thanks again!

Absolutely, feel free to contact me at any time if you have any other questions!

-Sydni

@Kris Duckett go to the board meeting and address the board in person about the matter. Bring pics, know the section of the declaration stating its their responsibility, etc. is this a townhouse or SFH? Are you sure it's their responsibility? How was title conveyed to you?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you