Create a HOA in 21 year old Colorado Springs Neighborhood in 2015

3 Replies

We bought a house 6 months ago in a 158 home community in North Colorado Springs. We were unaware the current Arc Review Group wants to convert from a no monthly fee oversight group into a "$100 a month HOA" that will provide just free garbage service. There are no common areas to take care of. The potential that our 21 year old neighborhood adopting to HOA fees & legal headaches has us regretting our dream home $435K purchase. Is this possible in Colorado ? I refused to look at any property for sale with a HOA. Supposedly if 66% of 158 owners say "Yes" then everyone is stuck with this HOA.

Thank You !

Lindy

It's definitely possible. I'm not sure on whether the owners themselves have to actually vote or if the board will use the absent owners votes as proxy which could cause the change to go through pretty easy. It might be time to start walking your neighborhood and talking with the neighbors.

It seems from the information that you provided that an HOA already existed in some form. If so it must have by-laws, CCR's and a Board of Directors. They must provide you notice of meetings, annual elections and such. What it sounds like is the Board is proposing changes to the by-laws. You probably will have to get involved with the politics of the HOA if you don't agree with the board's actions.

Thank You for the comments & any additional thoughts.

So far 3 neighbors said they want No HOA to me, one thinks $100 a month is reasonable as it includes garbage service which will by just one company. All were surprised there's a desire to create a HOA. I'll look into Our "ARC", Architectural Committees rules and bylaws as suggested above. The ARC only meets 8 months a year, just once every other month, & now they're off, no meetings till Spring 2016. No one gets elected to the 3 to 5 member ARC group, currently there are 4 volunteer homeowners running the group. Up till now they would charge a $25 fee to officially decide if your desired paint change or stucco or plastic astro turf was an acceptable change. No additional buildings, like sheds or garages are allowed. No boundary fences are allowed due to covenants.

Updated almost 6 years ago

Digging further I see our ARC meets monthly for 7 consecutive months: April-October . They meet with fellow homeowners once a month at the local pizza shop, From November- March there are no meetings.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you