HOA fees be SF property maintenance, any difference?

2 Replies

Has anyone came to the conclusion about HOA condo fees. For the services that HOA provide is it equivalent to property maintenance of a single family no HOA?

I would say it depends on what the HOA fees are, size of the HOA, etc. And I also dont think you can really compare owning a residence in an HOA with a Residence w/o HOA. As both target different type of homeowners....

It can overlap some depending on what the HOA covers since it varies by neighborhood, but I don't think it can ever be the equivalent. Just using the HOA that my landlords pay as an example, it covers water, trash, basic cable, pest control, lawn care, exterior painting, and roofing.

About half of the things included are things that the tenant would pay for, not maintenance things. The ones that would be coming out of your pocket normally are lawn care and the exterior stuff. So that means you could probably play with your numbers a bit and not have as high of a maintenance cost as you would in a single family home. But you would still want to  set aside money for any repairs needed inside the property like painting, wall repair, AC, floors, and appliances. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here