HOA Water Shut Off Fees

2 Replies

I live in an HOA community. My husband and I are one week away from remodeling our bathroom. After multiple emails to our HOA about the water needing to be shut off for about 4 hours they are now telling us that there is a fee. Can they legally charge us to shut off the water?

Check your rules and regulations to be sure, but yes - this type of service is something they generally have to pay somebody to come and do, so they will charge that back to the homeowner.

typically HOAs are allowed to bill administrative fees to homeowners. the exact fees and reasons may not be laid out in the bylaws, but there should be something giving them that power. this is especially possible when it is run by property management companies. do you not have a shutoff that you have access too? if not you just have to suck it up. if you are doing plumbing work, consider having your own shutoff valves installed so you do not have to worry next time.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here