Buying my first place!! Total novice. Would love advice.

2 Replies

Hello BP,

My partner and I are currently renting in Phoenix, AZ. We are looking at buying our first place and looking into house hacking.

Would love to hear about people experiences with HOAs, also if anyone has experience with airbnb with shared rooms.

Is there a way to read the hoa's beforehand?

Any advice we are so grateful for.

Thank you.

@Ryan Tempel

There may be instances in which the seller has a copy of the CCR's on hand, or sometimes the HOA management company may let you come to their office and read them. Other times you have to put in an offer with a contingency that allows you to read and accept the CCR's and bylaws before the inspection period is over. Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

HOA's are what they are and some are more rigid than others. For instance, my HOA says that I cannot change the plants in my yard without their approval. I ignored that request and have changed my plants 3 times in 1 year and haven't heard a peep from them. I did park an extra car on the street for like a week or so and got an email to put it in the garage or driveway as we are not allowed to leave cars on the street overnight for extended periods of time.

I have no experience in buying in HOA's outside of my primary residence so I may not be of much help past that, but just throwing in my 2 cents.

Thank you for the insight.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here