HOA and Deeded Garage

2 Replies

Hi,

I have an investment townhouse in PA on a golf resort community which came with what I believe to be a deeded garage. 

The resale certificate I got prior to the purchase (3 yrs ago) clearly mentions that the garage is deeded.

In the past 2 months, while the unit is rented, the tenant may not have used the garage frequently and the HOA claims they can reassign the garage to other unit owners. How is this possible if the resale certificate says the garage is deeded?

Any assistance would be appreciated or will have to reach out to an attorney.

@Percy N. I would gather up all of the documents of the HOA (ByLaws, etc.), your Deed and anything else you have and let your Attorney sort it out.

Accurate advice from @Steve Racicot here. 

If the garage is "deeded" then the legal description of said garage would appear in the deed. 

Why any information about garages would appear in a resale certificate is odd -- that is beyond the scope of a typical cert. 

If the deed is silent, presumably the HOA docs say something completely different about garages... and since you should have been provided both prior to settlement, this is stuff for you and your attorney to figure out.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.