Termites in a common wall of a townhouse complex

2 Replies

Hi - I have one rental property. It is a townhouse that shares walls with three other units. The neighbor just placed a note on my renter's door stating that they are starting termite treatment on a shared wall. My real estate friend said he remembers there being a law in AZ that states HOAs must have a termite bond on all shared/common areas. I'm having trouble locating this law. Anyone law savvy out there that can point me in the right direction? Also, anyone with wise words on dealing with termites?

@Zee D.  I can't help you much with your local ordinances, but I can tell you that treating for termites is pretty simple stuff. Big companies simply drill holes around either the entire property, or in localized cases around the infestation. These holes are about 3/4 of an inch, and are spaced out one hole per foot. 'They then dump liquid termite poison down the holes, which creates an underground kill barrier. This kills them for about 10 years, which typically means this is a permanent fix. 

Termites usually get into properties due to water leakage in my experience, so you normally have a leaking roof, water leak in a basement wall, etc to look for. I flipped a home in Riverside, IL, which has a lot of problems with termites due to the proximity to the Des Plaines river. I did the work myself, and re mediating the termites and repairing the damage cost under $1,000. 

I just finished redoing a bathroom in my 9 unit apartment in Berwyn, IL. We literally had to re frame the whole bathroom as the termites had eaten through most of the wood. This probably added a few hundred dollars onto our renovation costs for that unit. 

@Zee D.

I'm not aware of a specific law in Arizona, but you need to read the CC&Rs for your complex. They will outline what the requirements and procedures are for termite treatment within your complex. They will also stipulate what areas are 'common' and what areas belong exclusively to a unit owner. If the termites are in a common area, its likely the HOA will be responsible for remediation. If not, whichever unit owner has a claim on the area would be responsible. If its a common wall and the boundary for the units starts at the drywall on common walls, its likely HOA responsibility.


Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here