My neighbor is condo-manager as well. Conflict of interest?

3 Replies

Situation: I recently bought a unit in a condo. My neighbor who lives in the same condo as me is also the property manager of our condo. The condo has 4 units. The condo HOA hired the property management group which has several properties and my neighbor works for the same group and happens to manage our condo where he lives.

Question: Is this not a conflict of interest for other owners to have a neighbor who is a property manager? 

As a neighbor he has to share common space with other residents but at the same time he can question other residents on their conduct as a property manager while giving preferential treatment to himself and his family.

Kindly advise how to resolve this and if I should ask property management company to assign a different property manager for our condo. Please advise.

Nope, no conflict. Don’t worry about “preferential treatment” unless it occurs, whatever that could be.

This is a very common situation.

I owned small property rentals, mainly duplexes, 3-plexes. Usually for these types of properties, one of the tenants are granted rent concessions to manage the property. In these cases, you always have friction where the other tenants complain that the tenant managing has preferential treatment. So it's similar to your situation.

For instance, I owned a triplex, with a absentee owner owning one next door. One of the tenants was managing and one of the other tenants were the "don't bother me" type. One of the problems I noticed after garbage collections was the garbage pails would be out and rolling around on the street for days after garbage collection. With recycling, there's 3 garbage pails for each rental unit, so with 6 to 9 cans rolling around the sidewalk and streets for days, it gets ridiculous. Annoying if you live next door.  I mentioned that to the tenant PM and he said the other guy has an attitude, and doesn't want to be told to bring the garbage pails in. This is besides many other issues, such as keeping the noise down.

I noticed the resentment has to do with the fact that some think these tenant PM's get rent concessions, and on top has the nerve to bother me. And in the case of the garbage cans rolling around, the obnoxious tenant told the tenant PM, if you have a problem with it, pick up the pails yourself.

I agree with Wayne above, no conflict, the tenant PM is just doing his job. As to preferential treatment, they may have special arrangements with the owners.

@Kshitij G. - I concur with the other posts saying it's no conflict. In my 7 unit townhouse building, I am the HOA President. We fired our management company who were were paying $500 to and receiving very little value. Then we gave the role of building manager to one of our owners who is home all day and does a great job. SHe and her husband receive a discount from their HOA dues in exchange. Less than $500 though so it's win-win.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.