Condo HOA is MIA - Negligent?

2 Replies

Hello BP!

One of my rentals is in an 18-unit condo building in an HOA. I'm always trying to stay abreast of HOA happenings, but the board doesn't meet regularly. I'm always calling the property manager and she tells me "meeting date is TBA" but it rarely is. Last set of board meeting minutes was from February of this year. I want to review decisions for the building and know what's planned and going on. Most of the units are owned by a few individuals who (I'm assuming) probably voted themselves onto the board.

Is there anything I can do (maybe legally) to hold an HOA accountable? What am I entitled to know regarding the HOA? One issue is the building needs to be painted. How does negligence come into play (legally) in all of this? Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You could consult an attorney and spend thousands of $$$. However, it probably will not get you anywhere.   You will just be seen as the "problem" owner. 

You mentioned a property manager. They should be the person who gets you the financials, Board Minutes, etc.   Please keep in mind that Board Members are volunteers and that rarely will have the time to deal with everything daily.  Hence the Property Manager. 

You should read your ByLaws and other governing documents to see how often the board is required to meet. etc. If you can't get the information you want from the property manager, you should send the HOA a nice letter asking them when they meet, information you are seeking, how you can help them, and be extra nice.

@Steve Racicot Thanks for the advice.  I may try the letter approach because it seems that even the property manager dodges me.  Definitely need to review the bylaws.  Thanks again.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.