Need help Seminole county Florida code enforcement lien

6 Replies

I purchased a house in Casselberry Florida with a $100k code enforcement lien due to work performed without permits. There was also a $250/day fine accruing. It was a short sale. By the time the short sale was approved and the permit pulled the lien was at $170k. I’ve made the repairs and and all is now in code compliance. Per the county procedures I’ve applied for a reduction of lien on the grounds that I solved the problems and I am trying to improve the otherwise nice neighborhood by fixing up this ugly house and selling it. I pointed out that I’m not a hedge fund and showed my tax return to prove that I could use the money. The county manager denied the claim because I bought the house with knowledge of the lien. I put in some renters for the time being. The next step is to ask the same county manager to permit the county Board to review my case and reduce the lien. It’s a 200k house with about $120k invested right now. I’m getting $1400 in rent. I could use any advice from members with knowledge of dealing with Seminole county.

James,

PM me and I can give you a RE attorney we work with her in Orlando that could probably help

is there no "new owner amnisty program " in semonle county? usually pay a application fee of a few hundred and bring the whole house up to code, let inspector walk through and your done

Hi Geoffrey, I wish. They charged $500 for the privilege to ask them to reduce the lien. Now $200 more to appeal. Dies Pinellas have such a program that you described?

Most counties/cities work with new owners solving these problems. Down here it varies from a about 10-30% of the accrued lien.
For that kind of money, get a Local attorney experienced/connected with the county.
Maybe spend part of a day at the courthouse reviewing code violation appeal case files, it’s all public record. Note the attorneys, and any patterns.

This is an excellent idea Wayne. I shall go research this next week. Thank you.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.