HOA Suing me for bird seed on the ground

27 Replies

@Marie Barrett I had a similar situation. The "bosses" of the HOA seem to have control issues and want to show their "power" for some reason. As someone in the thread mentioned, gather your evidence. When I received the HOA threats, I walked the entire neighborhood and took pictures and made notes. Then, I emailed the pictures and addresses of about 50 violations to the entire board and explained that I would gladly conform when everyone else did. I never heard another word from them. Read your HOA documents carefully and look for all violations (no satellite dishes visible from street, no overgrown shrubs, no cars parked on street overnight, etc.). It shouldn't be hard to find 50 or 60 items. You can ask why you are being harassed while everyone else is not. And, be sure to get pictures of the items the "bosses" are not conforming to.

@MarieBarett   Some HOAs are very unreasonable and act like bullies. Here in Florida, we are given a chance to dispute fines in front of the board. If they are intent on filing a lawsuit you should get a lawyer and answer it. 

Originally posted by @Marie Barrett :

hi, I live in a townhouse style condo and have both an HOA and a Condo board. The HOA has send me about 3 or 4 threatening letters over the last 6 months for various things. One more recent issue was they had a lawyer send me a letter telling me to take down the bird feeder or they will bill me for pest removal services. I took down the bird feeder then received another letter saying they were going ahead with suing me because there's still bird seed around on the ground. Now, other people have had bird feeders. Bird feeders are not expressly prohibited. They are quoting some line about modifying the common area. But there are Christmas lights, other decorations and such people have done to the 'common area' and are not being sued. Another thing is, they are sending these registered letters from the lawer to my husband as well in duplicate. I own the house, why is he getting letters? Any advice on how you would deal with this HOA board in my position?

Comply with the rules set forth in your covenants :). Or get elected to the board to push for a change in the covenants. In some situations HOAs will send letters to the owners and occupants. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here