Household Water Usage

2 Replies

Hi, I have a 2 family house with a total of 3 people living here. My water bill was sky high last quarter and I'm trying to figure out why. I've looked at the daily usage online and it shows certain days where anywhere from 900 to 1500 gallons are used in a day, then normal for a week or so, then bam, another big spike. I've asked my tenant and she says she doesn't do anything abnormal with her water use. She does not have any washer/dryer. If anyone has an idea why I would have these crazy spikes in the usage, I'd be grateful to hear. I have had the sinks and toilets checked for leaks and running water and nothing was found ... Thanks

@Russell Graffeo

So i’m Going to just think out load and do some babbling in hopes of triggering a thought from you or someone who reads this.

It’s showing up on your account so it has to be post meter.

I once replaced a leaking flapper in my toilet and it still leaked. This went on for a month or so. It would leak I would “fix” it it would leak. Not sure why but one day I fixed it and it stayed fixed. So are the tenants giggling the handle sometimes but not others.

Outside spigots. 

Pipes in crawl spaces. I’ve seen some really whacky things done in some house’s I’ve been in. I’m thinking a shutoff valve stuck in a crawl space that leaks only during certain conditions, extreme cold, tenants exercising causing the floor to shake and valve to open, etc.

Defective meter. I personally have never heard of a meter going bad but things do break. 

Hot water heaters have a relief valve on them. Does yours go straight to a sump pump? Is it possible that it’s leaking some how and draining off to the pump.

That’s a lot of water. I would think if it was inside the house (in a wall or ceiling for example) it would show itself fairly quickly. So either the meter is bad, the tenants are not being truthful or the water is draining to the outside. 

I told you I was just going to think out load. I attempted to follow the pipes and pick out potential problems hope it made at least a little bit of sense. Besides this will bump it and get some new eyes on it, one of them have a better idea.

Let us know how it goes, it’ll be very interesting to see what the cause is.

Most likely a toilet issue.  Flapper chain too lon and occasionally gets stuck under the flapper.  Or the handle has a small catch that hits once in a while 

A toilet can run 5,000 gallons per day. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here