No HOA, need advice on parking lot

7 Replies

I bought a townhome that has no HOA. There was one in the past, but it was dissolved. All the townhomes in this neighborhood have staggered roof lines, so I had no problem replacing the roof. My problem is that the parking areas in front of all the townhomes is deteriorating, and I can't seem to find out if the city will replace the crumbling paving or if each owner is responsible. With no HOA, It will be next to impossible to get all the owners together to replace the parking area, especially since most of these units are rentals. Any advice would be welcome!

I would assume the parking is on the privately owned lots.....if so, no way the city is paying.

Will be interesting to see how issues are resolved with shared walls and the 2 different owners can't agree. 

Even though the HOA is dissolved , the common areas are probably jointy owned . My biggest concern would be who is paying the taxes on the HOA property . Someone could buy your parking lot at tax sale and you would be out of luck

My guess is there is no HOA owned property....fee simple from road in front to rear....HOA just/used to mow all lawns, landscape, rules and reg.s, etc. Common here.

What does the tax plat map show? Where are the lot lines ? Is there any parcel listed in the HOAs name on the tax roles? The town probably wont take on a parking lot, only roads.

The tax map shows that the lot lines go from road to road, so there isn't any HOA owned area. The townhomes are on either side of a dead end lane as shown in the picture below.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.