Unlicensed renovation and trying to sue me!

2 Replies

Hi everyone,

I bought a house last year and planned to renovate it in order to rent it or sell it for more value. However, I had 2 "friends", who willing to do all the work for me without money, and I think they donot have any license, but they know how to do some work, so I trusted them and let them do it. 

3 months passed, I came to the house to see all the work they've done... nothing was done right. First guy did the framing for walls and layout of the basement, the door frame was too small for the door so it won't fit and he did the tile without cement under it. Second guy said he is an electrician, but all the power outlets are not working. So of course I kicked them out of the house.

Now, the electrician called me and said he wants me to call the city to check all his works just in case if I hired someone else to finish it and fire hazard happens, I will blame him for causing it. But, some people told me, if city involves, they will destroy all the walls and might set a fine because I did not ask for permit and all the works he had done are wrong. Still, nothing from the other guy yet but I think after I get everything done with the electrician, he will find a reason to make me play around with city permit again.

I am wondering, can I file a complaint back to the electrician for all the work he had done to my house? Because we were "friend" so I did not ask for any license or any paper that proof I authorised him to do it. 

Sorry for my bad english and long story and thank you for helping me out!

Don't know if this actual but city will fine you for hiring unlicensed electrician. Though they will not come to check the job if they did not issue your electrician the permit before that.

Just forget the hard lesson and use only licensed persons for electricity/plumbing- the mistake can be costly!

@Duc Minh Tran my advice is to call the city and explain exactly what happened. The entire truth. Tell them you want the house to be safe and properly inspected. Let them know you were unaware of the need for permits or though the people doing work would get them. Ask them for help working through this. First priority is safety and if you are honest with the inspector, they will help you.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here