Corrupt hoa in north Las Vegas

5 Replies

I have a rental property in north Las Vegas with a horrible HOA. I have great renters who try to follow all the crazy rules that the hoa has made up. I was recently away for 6 months and did not know I was being penalized for not providing a copy of my lease agreement to the hoa. They now want $2000.00 Any recommendations? Or possibly a lawyer referral? Thanks!

I hate restrictive HOAs. However, you bought the property and accepted their rules. If they say you have to provide them a copy of the lease, then that's what you signed up for.

I recommend contacting the HOA, pleading ignorance, asking forgiveness, and begging them to reduce the charges to something more reasonable.

@Nick Halsey

First, in the HOA bylaws, CCR's, etc., does it say penalty and for how many months ? If new rule, then are you grandfathered in before new rule?

Last resort, plead you did not know, waiver, and ignorance.

Terry

@Nick Halsey

Sorry to hear that, they are real strict in Vegas I know. I would say that is very aggressive fee. Wonder if you could negotiate before you get an attorney involved. I would read the small print on your HOAs as well. Good luck.

Attend a board meeting. That can go a long way. 

Fees for violating the CC&Rs or any resolution must be "reasonable," and $2k for merely failing to provide a copy of your privately held contract with the renters is NOT "reasonable." I recommend you visit this site - https://www.hopb.co/nevada/ - and do a little research into what Nevada statutes say/define "reasonable" where fees like what you are being assessed are concerned. Here are the statues that govern HOAs in Nevada: https://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-116.html 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here