Corrupt hoa in north Las Vegas

5 Replies

I have a rental property in north Las Vegas with a horrible HOA. I have great renters who try to follow all the crazy rules that the hoa has made up. I was recently away for 6 months and did not know I was being penalized for not providing a copy of my lease agreement to the hoa. They now want $2000.00 Any recommendations? Or possibly a lawyer referral? Thanks!

I hate restrictive HOAs. However, you bought the property and accepted their rules. If they say you have to provide them a copy of the lease, then that's what you signed up for.

I recommend contacting the HOA, pleading ignorance, asking forgiveness, and begging them to reduce the charges to something more reasonable.

@Nick Halsey

First, in the HOA bylaws, CCR's, etc., does it say penalty and for how many months ? If new rule, then are you grandfathered in before new rule?

Last resort, plead you did not know, waiver, and ignorance.

Terry

Fees for violating the CC&Rs or any resolution must be "reasonable," and $2k for merely failing to provide a copy of your privately held contract with the renters is NOT "reasonable." I recommend you visit this site - https://www.hopb.co/nevada/ - and do a little research into what Nevada statutes say/define "reasonable" where fees like what you are being assessed are concerned. Here are the statues that govern HOAs in Nevada: https://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-116.html 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you