HOS issues. Please help. HOA members don't want to cover repairs

3 Replies

Hi. Can you guys help me with issue i have. 

I'm the owner of top unit in 4 level building. HOA is mainly guy from low level unit. There are ongoing issues with walls (little cracks) which cause little water damages in my 2 bathrooms and living room. Whole hall way already smells with mold, cracked glass blocks etc...estimated repairs between 10k-20k. After few argues with HOA (that one guy) he gave what was there around 4k..we fixed some but not enough. When i mention we need to come up with special assessment to cover the damages he says he won't pay and other members won't pay either.

What are my options? I negotiated and we bumped up association fees but it's not enough, growing to slow to cover the repair. 

Do i need layer? I'm afraid layer costs if HOA looses will come to HOA members pockets anyways..so doesn't make to much sense. Please HELP

Should have found a handy man and ordered some flex seal and make do with what you have... partly a joke but also if the quotes were more than the funds available than you should have found another fix since there should always be a reserve fund for the next issue to come up so I would have suggested a temporary fix <2000$ like caulking and flex seal etc...

this is 4 story building. We already did temp fix for 4k which didn't help. Patching is not option anymore and nobody will hang fixing cracks for 2k. I'm looking for smarter options. Same guy mentioned when they had to do fix on condo he owns elsewhere he had to come up with 10k and there was no discussion. Our building needs something similar but how to make people to come up with special assessment. 

Im sure you could... but might be as much work as doing it yourself though I have seen 3 story row houses have the bricks re-pointed with scaffolding and you could always rent a cherry picker truck... if it was on the first floor would the cracks be something you would just have the regular maintance guy take care of? Also if the building is getting older and there’s no go to guy than you shouldn’t look around and find a good handy man who can take care of simple problem and affordably 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.