How long does HOA have to render fine decision?

4 Replies

It seems pretty clear in CA that an HOA has 15 days from the time of rendering a decision to notify the owner of that decision. But is there anything compelling the HOA to render the decision within a certain amount of time? What if they take a year to "decide" after the hearing date?

Since I'm renting my unit, the tenant could be long gone if the HOA decides months after the hearing. Do I have any leverage to get a quick decision?

Thx for input!

Hello Alan,

I would recommend reaching out to the Community Manager requesting a copy of the decision letter via e-mail.  If the company is large enough and they have a Community Care Department, they should be able to assist as well.

The HOA does have a right to postpone a decision, however they would have done so via letter as well.

If the hearing is scheduled for lets say December 1st, they have to make one of the following decisions at that meeting.

1.) Fine

2.) Dismiss

3.) Postpone Decision

They can postpone the decision for various reasons, but if they meet on December 1st, they should be giving you an answer within 15 days of one of those three outcomes.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here