Leaking roof caused Condo damages

5 Replies

Hello BP! Glad to be back!

Our (rental) Condo unit has roofing problems and it took the management company a while to replace the roof. Meanwhile, 3 top floor units, including mine sustained ceiling damages. One unit owner spent over 10K ( due to several claims related to this problem) to fix the damages due to collapsed ceiling and mold. HOA waited for every homeowners to send in their portion for the special assessment to replace the roof, therefore, the damage were extensive. Per HOA , unit owners are responsible for the inside damages.

My point is that management should have used the reserved money to speed up roof replacement instead of waiting for everyone to pay their special assessment. A leaking roof is a major issue. 

Any one here with this kind of situation? How did you handle it?

Thank you! 

Jem

You are 1% of their problem assuming there are 100 units. You can use your insurance for interior repair or escalate it through a lawyer.

@Jem J. They should have used the reserve money and if they are reserving correctly, a special assessment should not have been needed. They have poor management issues AND financial issues. Of course you have to fix your unit asap for the sake of your tenant; but I would get your homeowner's insurance involved. They have their own attorney's to fight on your behalf (or not). I wouldn't spend out of pocket for that. 

Hello Jen,

That is an unfortunate situation. I would recommend turning it over to your insurance company to handle the claims and damages. They would then review, on your behalf all the information you provided and decide to either go with subrogate to the HOA or just pay out the claim.

Have you attended a recent HOA Board Meeting and addressed the Board of Directors about the situation? These decisions are not made by the Management Company, but rather the Board of Directors that are volunteers elected by the membership of the HOA. For the Associations I manage, when homeowners attend with thier issues, they get addressed much quicker.

Just my two cents.

Thank you everyone for your time to respond. I have contacted an insurance Adjustor and she will review both my insurance and the HOA.

This is why you have insurance. Your personal policy should cover walls in, and the master insurance policy outside the walls.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here