Are your HOA meetings public?

3 Replies

I was surprised to find that some meetings held by HOAs were open only to their Homeowners and not guests or prospective buyers. I know they pay to be members and thus get the right to participate but what about learning about their rules BEFORE making a commitment to buy in? Financials are reviewed and some have thorough bylaws but others are just plain secretive in my opinion. Have you ever had any experiences bad, good or worse with a local HOA?

And are city and town boards also only open to their residents?  What happened to free "government"?

My HOA is open to all residents at the moment. Due to the insane requests and the renters skewing the votes we're looking to restrict it to owners only. The question was passed to board to make HOA meetings private if the residents become to aggressive at the meetings.

That being said, you can contact the management company and get a copy of the CC&R's regardless of your status.  

It varies by HOA but most that I have been involved with do not allow anyone but Board Members to attend regular meetings. The problem with allowing anyone to attend is that it takes time away from what can already be a full agenda to cover in a short period of time. Nothing worse than homeowner showing up on a whim and trying to dominate the entire meeting with their own personal issues.

Annual Meetings are typically open to all owners (not tenants or the general public) and some HOA's will open an occasional regular meeting to a limited amount of public/resident comment prior to beginning that regular meeting.

Originally posted by @Chris Sullivan :

My HOA is open to all residents at the moment. Due to the insane requests and the renters skewing the votes we're looking to restrict it to owners only. The question was passed to board to make HOA meetings private if the residents become to aggressive at the meetings.

That being said, you can contact the management company and get a copy of the CC&R's regardless of your status.  

Thats your first problem, Renters cannot be voting in HOA meetings.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here