Purchasing a rental home breeding pitbulls & Gmn Shprds neighbors

6 Replies

So I went on the inspection of my very first investment property this morning. While the house checked out with some minor repairs according to the inspector, I discovered 1 neighbor next door is breeding Pit Bulls (the mother was nursing) and the neighbor behind has German Shepherds. All dogs barked in unison as you stepped foot in the backyard (of course when I viewed the house when I made the offer there were no dogs). Keep in mind all that separates you from the dogs is 20’ at most and a rickety wooden fence. Being that the house is only on a 4400sq ft lot and the house is 1625sq ft I decided the neighbor’s dogs were too close for comfort. I pulled out of the purchase as I thought the presence of the dogs could deter renters. And, since I’m purchasing this home because it’s in great schools it could be a problem getting a family with kids to rent it. Would love the opinion of experienced investors, was that the right decision?

Updated 5 months ago

Obviously my first post and it has nothing to do with HOA. So please excuse that it’s listed under HOA questions.

After "Location, Location, Location" and "They ain't makin' any more of it" my favorite real estate quote is "You can fix your house but you can't fix your neighbors".  I say prudent move on your part.

I'm sure tenants would just love that..

I'm kinda surprised the seller hasn't done anything about it though. 

In my neighborhood, I can usually tell when there's something for sale, because everybody starts getting warnings from the village over minor code violations. It's like clockwork 😄

However, if you think regular houses can have neighbor problems, condos can be 100x worse - you're in much closer proximity, and the condo associations often don't want you there. All it takes is one bad tenant, and it'll turn the other owners against rentals forever. 

@Laura Luloh I think you made the right choice. As an investor & landlord, this would have been a problem that you cannot solve. Safety is always a big issue when it comes to female tenants and children. They want a safe place to live. Keep looking until you find the right investment.

If you decide too keep the house. When looking for a tenant, you need to put in your ad; “pit bulls welcome”  

Just pay the what you got to pay to Walk away 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here