New HOA Manager- Need help filing intent to lien in Colorado

5 Replies

Hi All,

Last year, I took over responsibility of managing the HOA. Our HOA is extremely small. The entire association is only 4 connected townhomes. Anyway, one of the unit owners is now over 6 months due. I am researching what I need to file in order to start the lien process. I think I will need to file an "Intent to Lien" form with the Clerk and Recorder for my county. I am able to find a good amount of information about the lien process, but it is hard to find info specific to Colorado. Just wondering if anyone out there might be able to point me in the right direction to start. Is there a Intent to Lien form that I can get from the Clerk and Recorder, or is it just something I print up in Word?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks 

@Charles Fella I managed several HOAs for many years. You don't file an "intent to lien" - you just file the lien (yes, with the County Clerk's office). However, you must make sure that prior to doing this you have followed the various bylaws & covenants for your organization regarding proper billing and notification of past due assessments. Once they pay then you must file a notice that the lien has been lifted (release). The costs for these should be rolled into the amounts you are charging the property owner - in our county it is $13 per page - no reason for the HOA to bear the cost. A lien should also be notarized. If you message me I can send you a sample lien.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here