MANAGEMENT COMPANY IS CAUSING TROUBLE! WHAT DO I DO?

8 Replies

Hi all, 

There is a plumbing issue in the building where my unit is located. The problem is a loud noise which can be heard in my unit. It has been going on for several months and the management company is ignoring the issue. neglecting repair. They are extremely rude over the phone and dont respond to my emails. What can I do at this point to have the issue resolved? I pay a $355 monthly management fee. Thank you!

Updated over 1 year ago

I am the unit owner & the management company/condo association is the company which isnt fixing the issue.

To clarify, you are the investor right?

I would tell them you're paying them, and you need this fixed or you'll break the contract and find someone else. If they refuse, break the contract and find someone else. If they aren't doing their job, somebody else will!

I'm a little confused on this one.  Do you own the building or a unit in the building?  If you do not own the building, the plumbing issue may be another owner's to handle.  If the owner chooses not to pay for the repair, there is not much the property management company can do unless it is a health and safety issue.

Originally posted by @David Pere :

To clarify, you are the investor right?

I would tell them you're paying them, and you need this fixed or you'll break the contract and find someone else. If they refuse, break the contract and find someone else. If they aren't doing their job, somebody else will!

I am a unit owner who is relying on the management company who is responsible for maintaining the building. 

Originally posted by @Dena Schrimsher:

I'm a little confused on this one.  Do you own the building or a unit in the building?  If you do not own the building, the plumbing issue may be another owner's to handle.  If the owner chooses not to pay for the repair, there is not much the property management company can do unless it is a health and safety issue.

I own a unit in the building. There is an issue in the building which may be from another unit or the building itself but can be heard in my unit. The management company/condo association is neglecting to fix the problem and therefore my unit is unlivable because there is a loud noise in my unit. 

Originally posted by @David Pere :

@Rahaan, that makes more sense. Have you brought it up at an HOA meeting?

I spoke to one of the board members who lives right below my level and has the same issue. She indicated that she has brought it up at a meeting but it was pushed under the rug. Next week I am closing on the property and one of the contingencies is that the HOA initiate the repair and resolution for the issue. Therefore, I dont have much time and need them to take responsibility.

@Rehaan Khan you cannot "speak to" people. You need a paper / email trail. By pushing things under the rug, and therefore affecting your closing, the HOA board is violating its fiduciary duty to you and leaving itself exposed to a lawsuit. I suggest you notify them of this in writing via certified letter. If you study your governing docs you'll probably find several areas where they are violating the policies of the HOA. While the board may be volunteers they are responsible for the people they hire.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you