Privacy of full names for homeowners

7 Replies

Hello,

The HOA of my condo moved to a new management company and when I signed up to their bulletin board, I realized that my full name would be fully public. There was no way to use an alias, or simply to write a first name with initials. Is that common? I would think I would have the right of privacy and that only the management company/board would have access to my full name, if at all.

If that is not the case (I don't have the right to keep my full name private), shouldn't I be given a name of all the homeowners? At least that way, there is equality. Otherwise, those homeowners who sign up to their bulletin board have no privacy and the ones who don't, get to keep it. Let's say there is a group of 10 homeowner friends and by 1 of them signing up, 10 people get access to everyone's information, while 9 of them get to stay private.

We used to have just a yahoogroups and it was great to ask questions among homeowners, so I'm sad not to be able to do that now unless I cave in...

Thanks.

Don't ask me why I hate condos..... BUT, yes the condo assn should NOT disclose your name. And, I'm assuming your don't hold title in your personal name, this would be moot, as that is public record.
But you can own in a trust and you can virtually have your name show up NOWHERE not even on the insurance policy and certainly tax bill and utilities.
You might want to politely give them notice that you insist that they remove your name from view of anyone.
Just went thru this kind of stuff on a pretty good condo deal and passed because they just have TOO much control and privacy concerns. Worst was they could inspect and approve or disapprove ANY improvements I was to make. MUCH worse than just displaying my name.
Good luck.

Steve and Linda: Thanks for your response.

Is there a way to do a search by address online? I have tried a google search, and it seems all the public records lookups have a charge associated.

In CT and surrounding states, the Tax Assessor for the city/town or County (NY) have the assessment records which show the owner of the property. Many of the municipalities provide that info online. With others you may have to go in or send a written request (with payment for copying and mailing) to get the info. Not sure how CA handles it.

Wayne & John: Thanks! I wasn't able to find myself in that site. I do understand that it is supposedly available to the public, but it doesn't seem so super easy to find (great!). I remember not long ago a site that made it really, really easy (I found everyone just by entering their names), but I forgot.

Maria, I did a quick look and it appears that they info in CA is also county based. Elk Grove is part of Sacramento. Here's a link that should get you close http://assessorparcelviewer.saccounty.net/jsviewer/assessor.html

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you