Self Managed Home Owners Association

2 Replies

It can be a nightmare. My association has been self managed since the developer turned it over to the Owners (12 yrs ago). We have had our secretary in place since the beginning (12 YEARS).Her husband a former fire chief; likes to "lead by intimidation". He tells people that if they run for president" they won't have to do anything". I know this because he presidented this to me years ago. He is an unelected Board member Attendance used to be encouraged. Not anymore. It is a LIVING HELL. Problem here is that people don't attend the annual meetings. We have them only once a year. Does anyone have a survey for homeowner satisfaction? I love my house, its location ect. I am just frustrated. I caution anyone check with the people who live in the development befor you move in. I wish realtors would require a satisfaction survey when they list a property. That way they could assert pressure on the Association keep the homeowners happy. Lots of things go on that noody knows about. Example here is a homeowner was sent a letter from "the BOARD" about oil spot on the street in front of his house. A letter from the Association attorney telling a homeowner that they could not talk to the lawn service. Any concerns must go hrough the attorney. I could go on and on. Thanks for letting me vent.

This post has been removed.

I move into an HOA after a regime change so I was only told stories. But basically the owner that developed the land lead the HOA and was a total Nazi about it for YEARS. Everyone hated him and couldn't figure out what to do legally. Finally someone had the balls to run against him. it was an easy win since they finally convinced people to show up to the meetings. The hardest part was getting people to go. They usually schedule them at very inopportune times, like on a Saturday morning the weekend before school starts. Now the new guy is super laid back and only pushing things that are actually important to keep the community clean and nice. Not writing letter for people parking on the street overnight, like the last guy did.

So if your that fed up run for pres and push him out. Its not federal law. You dont HAVE to enforce anything. You just have to enforce things fairly on everyone.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here