Condo association jerking me around...what can I do? (long)

1 Reply

Wasn't sure where else to put this...

They have been re-siding my building the past couple weeks and when I came home one day, I noticed the wall inside the garage was ripped up right where the A/C freon lines are. Since it's still the cooler season, I haven't been running the A/C (it's usually on auto, it kicks on when it needs to and hasn't for a while), but the siding isn't in the garage, so I thought it was wierd that the wall was opened there.

I then go to my door, and there was a notice on it. It said that everyone in the building was getting a $100 fine for used charcoal and oil that had been dumped on the side of the building. The fine would hold unless someone came forward with information. Well, I know it was my former neighbor who just moved to Indiana, so I figured it would be OK to tell them that.

So I know I have to call the office, but I checked on the A/C just to make sure nothing was amiss. Well, the A/C doesn't blow cold at all. It did last time I used it, but now it doesn't. When I call the office about the fine, I also mention the A/C, and the manager in the office tells me that one of the siding guys put a nail through the freon line and they're going to repair it. He said I'd have to have someone around to let them in, and I said fine, let me know when they'll be there and I'll make arrangements.

About a week passes, and the A/C still doesn't work, but I get a call from the office asking me to put in writing who I believe was responsible for the oil. I figured it would be a good idea to put the A/C thing in the same letter, since the oil and charcoal thing will probably be documented. This way the A/C thing isn't mysteriously forgotten about.

So today I arrive home, and there's a letter in my mailbox. It's from the condo association, and is simply the yellow copy of a work order they made up. It says, "Service work requested: Air conditioner not working. Line was damaged by re-side crew. Air still not coming on". Below, it says, "Work acomplished: A/C was repaired by (A/C Co.) and tested. If something is not working today it's the owners problem to repair."

There was nothing in the house that said anyone was in there for service. I was never called to let anyone in, and have no evidance of any work having been done. Do I have to stand for this? THEY broke it, and they will not fix it! Do I have any specific rights in this case? Could I contact the A/C company and aske them if they have done any work in my neighborhood lately? Could I demand a receipt or a copy of a work order, since it is my unit? I'm not a renter, so I would think that I would have rights as a unit owner.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks,

-Mike

A couple of thoughts come to mind:

1. Have you called an attorney for advice?
2. Get them to substantiate the "fix" of your AC by an actual contractor invoice.
3. Does the HOA have insurance for these kinds of events?
4. What does your HOA rules and regs documents (I forget what they are called) have to say about HOA responsibilities?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you