Baltimore Property Management Companies

14 Replies

Greetings BP family.

I recently completed my first townhouse rehab in Baltimore City. The average house in this area (21216) sells for under $30,000 so its definitely a rental and not a flip. My delimma is choosing a company to do tenant placement and monthly mainternance. I'm also leaning towards Section 8 or MBQ tenats for steadier and higher rents. Has anyone dealt with these 3 companies? If so, please give me good or bad feedback?

1. Aspire Property Management (Towson, MD) is run by an investor who oversees over 200 units and offers a one year tenant guarantee. He has over 8 years experience and is very familiar with Section 8.

2. Price Property Management (Perry Hall, MD) is run by a former investor who only does PM now. Currently oversees 80+ units but ONLY deals w/ tenants in Baltimore county or city. Familiar with MBQ and Section 8

3. Renters Warehouse (Columbia, MD) is a nationwide company with a local franchise. Offers free rental evaluation and has a 9 month guarantee. Extensive marketing and tenant screening. Positive reviews on Yelp. Charges $80 per unit flat rate.

If you don't know any of these companies or are not in the Baltimore/DC area....please feel free to tell me which company you would choose as a landlord and why. Thanks in advance

LaRue

@Tarik Larue  Hi Tarik - Did you decide on a PM?  If so, how has the experience been?

Thanks,

Mike

Hey Mike,

After talking to numerous companies I decided to hire The Mount Washington Group located in Pikesville, MD. The contact person is Steve Klein and they have a tenant placement company called VIP Rentals. They were able to find me two tenants and got me through several Section 8 inspections. The staff has been very responsive to any request and returns calls quickly. I hired them for my second property as well and they found me tenants within 1 week. I was referred to them by two other local investors. 

Tarik

Tarik:

I am looking to hire a tenant placement company for some properties I have in BAltimore City.   How long have you used VIP Rentals? Are you still happy with them? 

Thanks,

Sonja

section 8 properties with tenants in place (that are decent) require very little "management"....outside of an annual inspection. do it yourself if you only have a few places. you'll learn everything quickly, spend less on repairs, zero on tenant placement, and be better equipped for property managers in the future. 

I am not familiar with any of them.  My gut tells me stay away for the one in Columbia. I am not sure I like the franchise idea for property  management and if they are used to Columbia properties they may struggle with Baltimore city properties and city bureaucracy. 

I wrote a blog post abut property managers.

Baltimore Property Managers

I Believe Seth Sherman does property management too. Seth has experience dealing with inner city Baltimore properties.

I ended up choosing The Mount Washington Group after meeting with the company manager Steve Klein. A few other local investors referred me to them and they seem really knowledgeable about Section 8 and other housing programs. They placed 2 separate tenants in my duplex under 2 different programs and got me through all the inspections. I have also hired them to manage my 2nd townhouse and they found me a tenant in 2 weeks. I plan to purchase 2-4 more properties/ units in 2016 so I didn't want to self manage or find my own tenants. 

Hi Tarik,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Things are (finally) progressing a bit on the property I was hoping to get rented and I wondered if you are still with the Mount Washington Group.  Everything still going as expected with them?

Thanks,

Mike

Hey Mike,

I am still using the MWG in Pikesville. They were able to get my inspection done and move in my new tenants right before the New Year. If your property is in the Baltimore Area I would definitely give them a call. By the way, who did you use to do the rehab work on your property?

Tarik LaRue

Hey Shaquetta,

Steve Klein is my PM at The Mount Washington Group. I'm not allowed to post the phone number but it does show up on a Google Search. My email is my name with dot between the first and last name at Gmail.

I will be looking for one soon. I just picked up a double unit.

This post has been removed.

Disclosure: I am an employee of this company.

Hi! So, I was just looking around online and happened to come across this post, I first want to say that I work for Renters Warehouse in Columbia, so I am not making a recommendation in any direction, there are a lot of good property managers out there, as Ned's post shares, but there are also many to be wary of. However, I just wanted to share that while our main office is based out of Columbia (that is where we process rent, coordinate maintenance/inspections from, etc.), all of our Leasing Agents are based right in their locations they service, and we actually have several agents who handle the city and county -- they know the bureaucracy of Baltimore City (and county) all too well...They are also very familiar with all the particulars involved with placing tenants who are a part of the housing program. I hope this helps! 

----

Originally posted by @Ned Carey :

I am not familiar with any of them.  My gut tells me stay away for the one in Columbia. I am not sure I like the franchise idea for property  management and if they are used to Columbia properties they may struggle with Baltimore city properties and city bureaucracy. 

I wrote a blog post abut property managers.

Baltimore Property Managers

I Believe Seth Sherman does property management too. Seth has experience dealing with inner city Baltimore properties.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.