• Rental Property Investor
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
FIG - Fourplex Investment Group Reviews

Brandon S.
  • Washington, DC
Posted Jun 2 2018, 18:17

Has anyone had negative reviews regarding FIG (Fourplex Investment Group)?

I've been researching for months and only see positive reviews and can't find anything negative.  I refuse to beleive anyone is just that good, but maybe I'm just being pessistmic (That's one of my weaknesses).  

Any and all info would be apprecaited.

User Stats

Votes
Sam Levin
  • Realtor
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Provo, UT
Replied Jun 4 2018, 06:35

Hi Brandon. I own several FIG properties and I love them. I'm an "Investor's Agent" in Utah County and every one of my clients who own FIG also love it. I am not affiliated with FIG directly but I now know the people involved very well and they are some of the best people in this business. Please reach out to me directly if you would like to discuss it further.

• Real Estate Agent UT (#6647576-SA00)

Utah Income Properties Logo

User Stats

Votes
Becca Summers
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Highland, UT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Highland, UT
Replied Jun 6 2018, 04:55

@Brandon S. FIG is a great company. They found an awesome nitch in the market and took it. I haven't seen or heard any bad reviews on or offline through word of mouth. @Steven Bond the guy who started it is a great honest and ethical person. 

The values these projects have added to the community in housing and equity gain is amazing.  

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Bond
  • Developer
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Provo, UT
Replied Jul 13 2018, 06:39

@Brandon S. @Sam Levin and @Becca Summers thank you for inquiring and sharing your thoughts about us. FIG has been a great niche in the market place in Utah, Idaho and Texas.  Like Sam and Becca have said, I truly do believe we have been doing great things for our clients.  But you are right Brandon.  No company is Perfect and without flaws. I’ll tell you some of the mis steps we have had in our growth which has led to over $350M in sales in 5 years.  

1. Scale.  Growing companies is incredibly challenging.  Doing something once is nothing like doing it 10 times.  Or 100 times.  Compounding that we are replicating in other states with different trade bases, municipal guidelines, lending practices, etc. This throws massive wrenches into the system.  This also creates a bumpier ride for us and for our clients. But they have all come out the other side better than they started financially and FIG has always honored their commitments financially when their is a delay to compensate our clients. 

2. Communication. Because of the tremendous growth at times the communication is more “mass” communication verse a personalized hand held approach.  We miss the one on one with every client and have been adapting new systems and hiring new people to improve but this is still an area of focus. A client can always call, text or email for personalized updates anytime though and get service on their terms. 

3. With scale also comes inefficiencies.  Today’s building climate is one of the most competitive in history.  Our last recession wiped out a massive amount of our labor market as have recent regulations. We have an imbalanced society with fewer and fewer willing participants to swing the hammer on a job site and be in the elements 8-12 hour days vs in a fast food place or office setting.  This labor shortage leads to increased costs for labor as well as delays as there are only so many laborers and  a massive amount of building going on.  For example. Just 10-15 years ago and all prior it was the sub contractors marketing to the general contractors to earn the chance to give a bid on their project. They would impress with swag, trips, etc.  Now, many general contractor companies need marketing’s crews specifically to recruit and retain loyal subs that will be reasonably affordable and show up and then stay on the job till completion.  I call this the tail wagging the dog in the building market. 

4. Patience:  The FIG business model is one of the “long play”. A client looking to “get rich quick” should call an infomercial salesmen and see what they have. Oft times when investing with FIG you will commit to something that is as much as two years out.  Our team is relentless about analysis of areas for jobs, housing, unemployment, growth, and job depth (kinds of jobs as we like STEM growth in the areas we invest in). These factors help edge against the risk of time and have yielded superior results for clients.  

Another aspect of the patience needed is that stabilization of a 200-300 unit project feels different than a partnership or syndication.  Reason is your investment is fee simple so if you buy a fourplex all you really financially care about is your units being filled yet our PM group is fair and fills across the board fairly which means there is also a stabilization game of patience clients need to be prepared for.  

So there you have it. I hope some of these “skeletons” in the closet shed more light on details you may or may not have heard of yet.  With any other questions don’t hesitate to book a consult on our site.  Our team is full of educators. Our culture is that real estate does NOT need to be sold.  The good stuff sells itself. However, every deal deserves and should have the right education to help clients see how that deal translates into what their objectives and needs are.  

Happy investing!

User Stats

Votes
Brandon S.
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
  • Washington, DC
Replied Jul 13 2018, 18:25

@Steven Bond This is perfect and the honesty I was looking for.  Thank you so much for the detailed response.  I've looked at a lot of your properties and spoke to you and a few others and I think I'd like to move forward with a 20 unit with you guys in the beginning of 2019.

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Anderson
  • Cedar City, UT
Votes |
  • Cedar City, UT
Replied Jul 13 2018, 19:41

Steven Bond
This FIG sounds interesting.
What is your website where I can get more information?

User Stats

Votes
Steven Bond
  • Developer
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Provo, UT
Replied Jul 13 2018, 21:14

hi @Jacob Anderson I cannot post our site per the rules of BP but our profile has info.  Really appreciate your interest.  @Brandon S. you can call me anytime.  We value the loyalty and interest of our clients.  We also actively invest ourselves in our own projects. 

User Stats

Votes
Collin Baumann
  • Realtor
  • Lehi, UT
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Lehi, UT
Replied Jul 17 2018, 16:36

This is super interesting. I just looked at your website and I love your business model. Will you guys have any projects in Utah coming soon? Other than your website where can I learn more?

@Steven Bond

User Stats

Votes
Steven Bond
  • Developer
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Provo, UT
Replied Jul 17 2018, 16:48

@Collin Baumann you can schedule a phone call with one of our sales consultants via our consultation page on top right of home page. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Darren Eads
  • Investor
  • Dayton
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dayton
Replied Feb 25 2021, 09:58

I'm doing the same research and finding the same thing. Hmmm...

User Stats

Votes
Sam Sala
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Aug 3 2021, 11:25
Originally posted by @Darren Eads:

I'm doing the same research and finding the same thing. Hmmm...

Hey Darren,

Curious to know if you ever moved fwd with FIG?

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Darren Eads
  • Investor
  • Dayton
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dayton
Replied Aug 16 2021, 03:06

@Sam Levin I have not. However, for nothing I have found why I shouldn't, just that I'm moving forward on more hands-on Syndication. Keep me posted if you do dive-in though. I plan to keep my eye on it.