Local Vs National Hard Money Lender?

4 Replies

Do you think it makes any difference using a local vs a national lender? If you are just investing in your home state I would think having a local lender would make more sense vs national. 

Would love your thoughts on this matter. 

@Ben C. I truly think it is a matter of personal preference. I feel that larger national firms can give you better service, surety of funds and a searchable reputation.

The local front; they may move quicker and get more aggressive on lending terms since they are usually only playing in their backyard but it is at a premium. On average the smaller players have a higher cost and may only have a limited pool of funds. So if they end up closing a handful of loans before yours, they may run out of funds until they start collecting payments/payoffs.

Last bit of advice I would give; if you don't have time, very unique deal or want to shop it around - use a broker. If you go that route, do yourself a favor and do not shop it around yourself. You are going to pay a broker fee for his/hers knowledge and network.   

@Ben C. sure, but there are usually some items that help. Feel free to PM me or answer on here

- Do you own the land already

- permitted

- Estimated land value

- scope of work 

- Location (city/state) 

- How much are you looking for? 

Those are usually good enough to get you talking to the right people.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here