Market Trends & Data

User Stats

Votes
Christian Knutson
Votes |
Trends and Strategies for investing in 55+ communities

Posted May 27 2022, 00:52

Hi Everyone!

I was exploring the Bothell area just north of Seattle, WA the other day for deals in the area. When I started querying sub $600,000 I started getting a lot of hits for Manufactured, Modular and Mobile homes in the $150,000 - $250,000 price range, and they were all located in Retirement Communities for persons over the age of 55+. 

I was wondering if anyone in the BP community has had any experience purchasing these kinds of properties for investment or personal use. I haven't ever really explored this space or strategy and wanted to see if anyone here had tips, tricks, watch-outs, pitfalls, or other knowledge and could pass on the learning? Many of them have the Senior Exemption constraint listed as False, which I imagine means that investors can purchase these properties and rent them out to folks older than 55+? Very new to the space and looking to learn more.

Thanks!

Christian

User Stats

Votes
Sherief Elbassuoni
  • Realtor
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Bellevue, WA
Replied May 27 2022, 09:05

@Christian Knutson, Manufactured Homes in 55+ not great in renting them back. Lender requirements are also tougher.

User Stats

Votes
Christian Knutson
Votes |

Thanks for letting me know Sherief. When you mention renting them back, do you mean finding tenets for the long term or selling the units back after you are done renting them?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
James Dainard
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Bellevue, WA
Replied Aug 29 2022, 10:20
Quote from @Christian Knutson:

Hi Everyone!

I was exploring the Bothell area just north of Seattle, WA the other day for deals in the area. When I started querying sub $600,000 I started getting a lot of hits for Manufactured, Modular and Mobile homes in the $150,000 - $250,000 price range, and they were all located in Retirement Communities for persons over the age of 55+. 

I was wondering if anyone in the BP community has had any experience purchasing these kinds of properties for investment or personal use. I haven't ever really explored this space or strategy and wanted to see if anyone here had tips, tricks, watch-outs, pitfalls, or other knowledge and could pass on the learning? Many of them have the Senior Exemption constraint listed as False, which I imagine means that investors can purchase these properties and rent them out to folks older than 55+? Very new to the space and looking to learn more.

Thanks!

Christian

Hey Christian,

Usually you have a hard time getting renters for those because the community is age restricted and a lot of your potential tenants are on fixed income.

If you're looking for a better return you're likely going to want to shoot for a house hack, BRRRRR, or a flip.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Aug 29 2022, 10:45
Quote from @Christian Knutson:

Hi Everyone!

Thanks!

Christian

Interesting that these trailers would appeal to over 55's due to being so high off the ground.

The over 55's I've seen tend to be (small) 1 story ground level places with ease of access, low barrier walk in showers, etc...

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Aug 30 2022, 13:14

@Christian Knutson- these properties can  be a  challenge to  find "  regualr "    financing for  ..the  combination of  "  Manuh home "   " rental property " and   " over  55"   will  make  most lenders   avoid  wanting to make loans .....there is a chance that  someone  buying to  live in one  could get a  loan ( but this could prove to be  difficult too)