User Stats

Votes
Ryan Welty
Votes |
Best use of funds for investing in real estate

Ryan Welty
Posted May 31 2022, 18:05

Hi all,

Just want to hear some ideas. I have a good amount of money from a trust and was wondering what your thoughts were on what should be done with it. Is it smart to buy another home in todays market or invest elsewhere? 

User Stats

Votes
Malcomb Stapel
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Topeka, KS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Topeka, KS
Replied May 31 2022, 18:42
Quote from @Ryan Welty:

Hi all,

Just want to hear some ideas. I have a good amount of money from a trust and was wondering what your thoughts were on what should be done with it. Is it smart to buy another home in todays market or invest elsewhere? 

Educate, educate, educate. Also go to a REIA near you and start talking to folks there. There are so many options from investing on your own, to investing passively with others. Just take some time and figure out what you want to try. If you have enough money you can make that capital stretch a long ways. Or you can lend it out and get some nice returns on your investment.

User Stats

Votes
Amanda Lizana
  • Property Manager
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Jun 1 2022, 13:31

I would suggest buying modest rental property. These are getting great rents, and do NOT sit on the market. There is a real demand for rents of $1500 and under. 

Let me know if I can help in any way!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ali Boone
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Venice Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Venice Beach, CA
Replied Jun 2 2022, 16:53
I think it's always smart to buy a [good] home. Real estate is historically very profitable. Now what kind of home or investment property you buy, that's another story. There are a million options. Are you wanting to be more passive with anything you buy, do you want to put work into something... what are your general interest levels for investing and what would you like to accomplish with it?

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Oh
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jun 4 2022, 14:44

Get familiar with whichever market you plan on investing in. Connect with property managers and agents in that market. And reach out to lender to see what you can afford before you start. As for investing in something else, the question is in what? I like to diversify, but the biggest portion of my portfolio is in real estate. It's a slow, steady, and relatively predictable income stream. Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Murrell
  • Lender
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jun 4 2022, 16:35

I would say it depends on your long term goals. If you are looking to have a steady flow of income, with some intensive research and understanding, you could find cash flowing rentals in almost every market. If you are looking to make more larger sums of money, you could invest with a flipping strategy. Combining them both, could have a healthy BRRRR investment plan.

No-one has a crystal ball on what the market is going to do. From what I see, there are still great opportunities to purchase property, especially here in Las Vegas. There's a proverb that reads "“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” 

Goodluck! Let me know if you need anything.