• New to Real Estate
  • Eastvale, CA
Votes |
Advice on Columbus, Ohio

Johann Martinez
  • New to Real Estate
  • Eastvale, CA
Posted Jun 16 2022, 21:48

After choosing Columbus for my first investment in real estate, what are some areas or neighborhoods that I should be aware of as an oos investor? Any areas that seem safe during the day but are entirely different at night?

User Stats

Votes
Austin McClain
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ohio
Replied Jun 17 2022, 06:06

There are areas with higher than average crime, but no areas that are completely undoable in Columbus. Areas with higher than average crime rates are South Linden and Hilltop. It's a trade-off because higher crime rates tend to provide more cash flow. 

This crime map below can be helpful to get an idea of different areas. 

https://www.neighborhoodscout....

User Stats

Votes
Brad Jacobson
  • Realtor
  • Ogden, UT
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Ogden, UT
Replied Jun 17 2022, 06:28

Hi @Johann Martinez,

@Austin McClain's crime map is an excellent tool.  

The other tool I really like is calling local property managers and asking for their opinion.  A lot of PMs won't manage properties in certain areas and most good managers are happy to help guide your purchasing decisions to areas that they would prefer to manage.

Good luck!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Anthony L Amos Jr
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 17 2022, 06:50
Quote from @Johann Martinez:

After choosing Columbus for my first investment in real estate, what are some areas or neighborhoods that I should be aware of as an oos investor? Any areas that seem safe during the day but are entirely different at night?

If you know what your investing goals are then it's best to get "boots on the ground" to help you reach those goals. Local investors, realtors, property managers, etc. can help you learn areas that will help you reach your goals. A rental area maybe different from an area that is good for flips, short term rentals, etc. You can also call the local police precint to get some info on different neighborhoods. A bad neighborhood now may have a ten year plan for revitalization and you miss out on some really good deals avoding it. Therefore also check the local planning and development board.

User Stats

Votes
Johann Martinez
  • New to Real Estate
  • Eastvale, CA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Eastvale, CA
Replied Jun 17 2022, 13:03
Quote from @Austin McClain:

There are areas with higher than average crime, but no areas that are completely undoable in Columbus. Areas with higher than average crime rates are South Linden and Hilltop. It's a trade-off because higher crime rates tend to provide more cash flow. 

This crime map below can be helpful to get an idea of different areas. 

https://www.neighborhoodscout....

Ooooo this is good. thank you for this and will use it more when making investments ty.

User Stats

Votes
Johann Martinez
  • New to Real Estate
  • Eastvale, CA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Eastvale, CA
Replied Jun 17 2022, 13:04
Quote from @Brad Jacobson:

Hi @Johann Martinez,

@Austin McClain's crime map is an excellent tool.  

The other tool I really like is calling local property managers and asking for their opinion.  A lot of PMs won't manage properties in certain areas and most good managers are happy to help guide your purchasing decisions to areas that they would prefer to manage.

Good luck!

Definitely connecting with pm to narrow my area thanks for this!

User Stats

Votes
Johann Martinez
  • New to Real Estate
  • Eastvale, CA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Eastvale, CA
Replied Jun 17 2022, 13:08
 Quote from @Anthony L Amos Jr:

If you know what your investing goals are then it's best to get "boots on the ground" to help you reach those goals. Local investors, realtors, property managers, etc. can help you learn areas that will help you reach your goals. A rental area maybe different from an area that is good for flips, short term rentals, etc. You can also call the local police precint to get some info on different neighborhoods. A bad neighborhood now may have a ten year plan for revitalization and you miss out on some really good deals avoding it. Therefore also check the local planning and development board.

Wow, thanks for this. It never occurred to me that I could miss out on opportunities by not knowing the local developments around the area. Ty for this 

User Stats

Votes
Aj Parikh
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Centreville, VA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Centreville, VA
Replied Jun 18 2022, 11:28

@Johann Martinez I don't have knowledge about investing in Columbus but I am hearing really good things about that market and it is on my list to pursue for my next investment. When I decided to invest in Cleveland, I chose the route of connecting with a turnkey provider and buying my OOS investment. Try to connect with someone like Rent to Retirement and they can guide you on the areas to buy in or possibly getting a turnkey property there. Let me know what your thoughts are. 

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied Jun 18 2022, 11:45

@Johann Martinez
There are no war zone neighborhoods in Columbus. Although the rougher neighborhoods will yield more cash flow, if that's what you are after.  

Reafco- Logo

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 19 2022, 15:54

Linden, Whitehall, and Hilltop have high crime levels compared to other parts of Columbus, Ohio, but they are not that bad. I feel safe walking down the streets of these neighborhoods. I know a lot of great people that live in these areas too.

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Andre Crabb
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jun 20 2022, 07:02

hey @Johann Martinez

I ranked the city's neighborhoods for you based on some of the criteria you mentioned.

The bluer areas are better...looks like they skew to the north & north west of the city. Does this line up with other maps you've seen?
I hope this helps your search!

User Stats

Votes
Austin Steed
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 20 2022, 07:35

I've always liked following developments in Columbus, OH too. The two I'm always looking for deal around are:

https://columbusunderground.co...

https://www.nationwidechildren...

My thought is to ride the wave. Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Andy Grizzell
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, Oh
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, Oh
Replied Jun 20 2022, 08:09

@Johann Martinez I refer out-of-state clients to this article as an introductory, quick reference on neighborhood grades. 

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

User Stats

Votes
Johann Martinez
  • New to Real Estate
  • Eastvale, CA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Eastvale, CA
Replied Jun 20 2022, 11:59
Quote from @Austin Steed:

I've always liked following developments in Columbus, OH too. The two I'm always looking for deal around are:

https://columbusunderground.co...

https://www.nationwidechildren...

My thought is to ride the wave. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info Austin, will check it out.

User Stats

Votes
Kristopher Cress
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 23 2022, 09:43

Hey man! I know being an oos investor can be a little risky for not being super familiar with the area. The Columbus market is doing fantastic right now which is a really good sign. I know it was mentioned in here before, but the crime map is a great tool to use. My biggest advice would be to connect with someone who is either living in the area, or super familiar with it. Having a 'boots on the ground' for an area that you are looking to invest in is always a great option. Happy investing!