Votes
Paul C.
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Finding Data for Market Trends in smaller cities

Paul C.
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Jun 29 2022, 08:10

Hi All, I currently live in Atlanta and invest in the area, but am moving to Carrollton, Ga in the next couple of weeks. I am trying to determine whether it makes the most sense to invest in the Carrollton market and start stacking units there or if I should stay in Atlanta. I would love to do this by finding information on jobs, income, days on market, etc over the past couple of years to try to determine the future outlook. Unfortunately, I am only able to find this for major markets and cannot find any statistics regarding smaller cities. The zip code data that is available for free is very limited and not sure which one would even give me what I wanted. The only data I have right now is around sales that is coming from InfoSparks on FMLS. Any help is greatly appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Scott Trench
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jun 29 2022, 08:57

@Dave Meyer - do you have any insights on this? 

User Stats

Votes
Cody Smith
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, GA
Replied Jun 29 2022, 08:59

Hey Paul! My name is Cody Smith, I'm an agent and investor. I am from the Carrollton area, but have been in Columbus, GA for the last 10 years with the Army and this is where I have done most of my real estate sales and investing. I think there are a lot of variables for each of these options to determine why and where you would invest, here are my thoughts based on a "broad view" of each market.

If you continued to invest in Atlanta, obviously there will continue to be growth and appreciation, depending on the location. I would assume you have a higher cost of entry in your Atlanta properties, and would have to continue to pay more to purchase, while benefitting from the likely higher appreciation and population growth you'll see in a larger metropolitan market like Atlanta. (again, mostly guessing here)

For a market like Carrollton, I'm sure you are aware that properties can be much less costly to get into than Atlanta, but Carrollton is still a decent-sized market. I would assume you will see much less competition than in Atlanta, but could still see some pretty good returns if you find the right deal. My guess is your capital could stretch much further with less competition, but you likely wouldn't see the same levels of appreciation or rent increases as you would in Atlanta. Carrollton has grown a lot over the years, however, and I would say it will continue to grow and improve as more people are interested in more affordable markets close to the Atlanta area.

I would say Columbus, GA is pretty similar to the Carrollton market, but a good bit larger in population. According to the 2022 census, Carrollton, GA has a population of just over 30,000, an increase of 3,000 from the 2020 estimation of 27,000. The Columbus, GA market currently boasts a population of just over 200,000, an increase of 3,000 from the 2020 census estimating a population of 197,500. So, the increase is more dramatic in the Carrollton market when compared to similar markets outside Atlanta, but that comes with less opportunity as well. The Columbus, GA market has every type of property you can think of, with a wide range of options to invest in. I have seen some pretty good returns (depending on the property of course) with other investors I work with buying in Columbus. It's also very convenient to Atlanta and Carrollton, with a 1.5 hour drive to Atlanta and a 1.5 hour drive to Carrollton as well. 

Hope this helps!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Andre Crabb
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jun 29 2022, 09:44

hey @Paul C.

I was also unable to find data on the city of Carrollton itself, but I did find some on areas within Carrollton...however they're quite spread out. (Bluer areas are ranked higher for better growth trends)

Happy to help you dive in more if this is useful.

User Stats

Votes
Paul C.
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jun 30 2022, 08:28

@Cody Smith thank you for the insight! Where did you get the census numbers that you quoted?

User Stats

Votes
Paul C.
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jun 30 2022, 08:29

@Andre Crabb can you provide any more context on this data? Looks very interesting.

User Stats

Votes
Cody Smith
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, GA
Replied Jun 30 2022, 08:32
Quote from @Paul C.:

@Cody Smith thank you for the insight! Where did you get the census numbers that you quoted?

@Paul C. That came from a quick Google search!

User Stats

Votes
Paul C.
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jun 30 2022, 11:28
Quote from @Cody Smith:
Quote from @Paul C.:

@Paul C. That came from a quick Google search!

Can you provide a link? There was no 2022 census(That I'm aware of) so just curious how they are coming up with those numbers. To your point, this wwill be a big metric for me comparing percentage increases since Covid between ATL and C-town. 

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal#4 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Jun 30 2022, 12:09

Hello @Paul C.

You can get the data you are looking from tools like Site To Do Business (www.stdb.com) and others.

I would suggest you to get in touch with local agents and investors to understand the local market.

All the best!