Market Trends & Data

User Stats

Votes

Swimming Pool Value?

Posted Jul 11 2022, 05:12

Does a swimming pool add to a property value?   The cost of water and upkeep are getting expensive. 

San Diego, California

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jul 11 2022, 07:43

In my market, a swimming pool absolutely adds to property value. Homes with pools sell for significantly more than a neighboring home that does not have a pool.

I've sold a lot of houses over the years without swimming pools, and I can't even count how many realtors have told me that the house would have sold faster and for more if it had a swimming pool.

The funny thing is, I'm convinced most people don't even use their pools all that often. But they sure are nice to look at...

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor
  • Arizona
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Arizona
Replied Jul 11 2022, 07:51

As @Scott E. said, it depends on not only the general market, but the specific neighborhood. From weather to income.....So in newer San Marcos, yes.....old Spring Valley, not so much

User Stats

Votes
Mark Frattini
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jul 19 2022, 15:20

Hi @Kevin Atkinson

Unfortunately the answer to your question is.....it depends. Some buyers will not consider purchasing a home with a pool due to extra costs and maintenance, additional liability, increased insurance, reduced yard space etc. There is some market research out there that says it's possible for a pool to add up to ~7% increased value. A general rule is that if the home is in a higher-end neighborhood and all of the surrounding homes have pools then yes it could add value to your home. I would personally only recommend adding a pool if the cost is worth it to you and your family. You should not only consider the cost to build but also the ongoing monthly outlay. If you're looking at it from a ROI standpoint it may not pencil out.