Votes |
Hot spots in greater Denver for LTR

Charles Renn
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Jul 12 2022, 09:52

Hey Denver REIs,

I know Denver has been a target for REIs for a while now. I'm still hearing that places like Aurora and Lakewood might have some hidden pockets for LTR. What should I expect to find? Are there other areas in the greater Denver area that I should consider?

-All the best

The David Greene Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Scott Trench
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jul 12 2022, 11:39

For me, I am still finding the occasional solid rental property in various pockets of town like Barnum and in Aurora near the Anschutz medical campus. I also continue to hold in areas that are harder to find deals in like Cole/Clayton, Villa Park, and Lakewood. Nothing incredible, just passable cash flow in areas I think will appreciate over the long-term. 

One couple interesting  recent one:  I found a BIG (5 bd / 3 ba on EACH side) duplex. Very few 5 bd homes for rent that have good yards, and so this has helped me attract consistent tenants and unexpected cash flow. 

User Stats

Votes
James Carlson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jul 12 2022, 15:04
Quote from @Charles Renn:

Hey Denver REIs,

I know Denver has been a target for REIs for a while now. I'm still hearing that places like Aurora and Lakewood might have some hidden pockets for LTR. What should I expect to find? Are there other areas in the greater Denver area that I should consider?

-All the best

I like a lot of the places Scot mentioned above. Barnum has turned a little. I think the next big boom, it will turn completely. 

I think the same thing about east Colfax in Aurora, just east of Denver. There's Stanley marketplace out that way, and I think more development will push into Aurora at some point ... if not this cycle, then the next one. 

I'd just add a place like Northglenn. Solid brick ranch homes, mostly 4br/2ba, 20-25 minutes north of Denver. Some of the more affordable homes in the metro, and blue collar families will rent that all day. (Plus, it's one of the few cities in the Denver metro that allows for Airbnb/STR rentals as investments.)

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Griffin Kaake
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jul 12 2022, 16:29

You can also find some properties in Colorado Springs that are less expensive than the closer Denver Metro areas. Greeley is also seeing an uptick in investors. The colleges/universities in both areas are attractive to investors looking for properties that can benefit from additional upgrading to increase rents in both areas. Grand Junction is another attractive area to invest in. The Denver Metro area is softening up a bit, it is taking a little longer to sell a single-family or multi-family right now. No more long lists of investors/buyers offering far over the asking prices like they were. 

User Stats

Votes
James Carlson
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jul 13 2022, 16:40

@Charles Renn

I'd second @Bonnie Griffin Kaake about Colorado Springs as well. A solid real estate investment at a slightly lower price. But the truth about the front range cities is that long-term rentals are tough to cash flow here. Prices have gone up so fast, and even though rents are also going through the roof, for the most part, they have not kept up. Denver and the Springs are still great investments for the long-term. (Oh, the dirty phrase -- "investing for appreciation.") 

Also, you might consider a short-term rental strategy if you can get your systems in place. There are a few Denver metro areas that allow for non-owner occupied STRs and Airbnb. In a way, it allows you to have your cake and eat it too -- cash flow and appreciation. Colorado Springs is a little restrictive, but there are rare properties that are eligible for Airbnb investments, and I've got clients under contract on five STR-eligible properties in the last year.

User Stats

Votes
Charles Renn
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 14 2022, 09:05
Quote from @Scott Trench:

For me, I am still finding the occasional solid rental property in various pockets of town like Barnum and in Aurora near the Anschutz medical campus. I also continue to hold in areas that are harder to find deals in like Cole/Clayton, Villa Park, and Lakewood. Nothing incredible, just passable cash flow in areas I think will appreciate over the long-term. 

One couple interesting  recent one:  I found a BIG (5 bd / 3 ba on EACH side) duplex. Very few 5 bd homes for rent that have good yards, and so this has helped me attract consistent tenants and unexpected cash flow. 

@Scott Trench, much appreciated. Yes, a 5bd, each side, wow! Don't see that here in the LA metro area, permitted at least!

User Stats

Votes
Charles Renn
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 14 2022, 09:06
Quote from @James Carlson:
Quote from @Charles Renn:

Hey Denver REIs,

-All the best

I like a lot of the places Scot mentioned above. Barnum has turned a little. I think the next big boom, it will turn completely. 

I think the same thing about east Colfax in Aurora, just east of Denver. There's Stanley marketplace out that way, and I think more development will push into Aurora at some point ... if not this cycle, then the next one. 

I'd just add a place like Northglenn. Solid brick ranch homes, mostly 4br/2ba, 20-25 minutes north of Denver. Some of the more affordable homes in the metro, and blue collar families will rent that all day. (Plus, it's one of the few cities in the Denver metro that allows for Airbnb/STR rentals as investments.)

@James Carlson, thank you! The STR insight is extremely helpful. I'll take a deeper dive into Northglenn.

User Stats

Votes
Charles Renn
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 14 2022, 09:08
Quote from @Bonnie Griffin Kaake:

You can also find some properties in Colorado Springs that are less expensive than the closer Denver Metro areas. Greeley is also seeing an uptick in investors. The colleges/universities in both areas are attractive to investors looking for properties that can benefit from additional upgrading to increase rents in both areas. Grand Junction is another attractive area to invest in. The Denver Metro area is softening up a bit, it is taking a little longer to sell a single-family or multi-family right now. No more long lists of investors/buyers offering far over the asking prices like they were. 

@Bonnie Griffin Kaake, Thank you! Can you tell me a little more about Grand Junction? I passed through there driving West a couple years ago. It looks like a sprawling city. Any insights into the industries that are attracting job seekers?

User Stats

Votes
Charles Renn
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 14 2022, 09:10
Quote from @James Carlson:

@Charles Renn

I'd second @Bonnie Griffin Kaake about Colorado Springs as well. A solid real estate investment at a slightly lower price. But the truth about the front range cities is that long-term rentals are tough to cash flow here. Prices have gone up so fast, and even though rents are also going through the roof, for the most part, they have not kept up. Denver and the Springs are still great investments for the long-term. (Oh, the dirty phrase -- "investing for appreciation.") 

Also, you might consider a short-term rental strategy if you can get your systems in place. There are a few Denver metro areas that allow for non-owner occupied STRs and Airbnb. In a way, it allows you to have your cake and eat it too -- cash flow and appreciation. Colorado Springs is a little restrictive, but there are rare properties that are eligible for Airbnb investments, and I've got clients under contract on five STR-eligible properties in the last year.

@James Carlson, it's true regarding appreciation. My thoughts are if you're buying to hold mid to long term, 5yrs+, it's a no brainer aspect to real estate.