Skip to content
Market Trends & Data

User Stats

Votes
Eric Puffenberger
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Toledo area market...what are you seeing?

Eric Puffenberger
  • Toledo, OH
Posted Jul 21 2022, 03:53

Attention northwest Ohio investors...are you still finding deals in NWO and the greater Toledo area? I am seeing a lot of investment properties come to the market that are selling for 50-75% more expensive than they were just a few years ago (and they are not necessarily in great shape).  What is interesting is that most of these properties still easily pass the 1% rule and work out well when you completely analyze the deal. 

What are you all seeing? 

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Abele
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Jul 21 2022, 05:43

I've seen this in multifamily where there has been a lot of investor interest. Rents have increased but, in some cases, there's the mindset of "if someone is willing to pay more than its worth..." (Where "more than its worth is defined by the owner.) That same property might have hit the 2% rule (or better) for the owner but, if they can sell it to someone and keep the extra equity it makes sense, especially to an owner who thinks the property value is overinflated (but will sell for the overinflated price.) 

User Stats

Votes
Michael P.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brooke Park Drive
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brooke Park Drive
Replied Jul 21 2022, 07:25

I'm selling a bunch since prices have gone up so much. The funny thing is what I'm selling still beats the 1% rule. For example purchased a duplex 2 years ago for 75k. Did minor updates and rented each unit for 750. Selling now for 130k, so I make a nice profit and it still beats the 1% rule for the buyer. Overall the plan is to sell off the C class holdings the keep/invest more in B & A class. That being said I've bought 4 deals this year as well. Still plenty of deals to be found through networking, wholesalers, sheriffs auctions, or just making all cash offers on MLS listings.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Brown
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Aug 7 2022, 07:40

As a realtor in Toledo myself, I see this too. Properties that I once would have sold to my clients I would steer clear away from now because the cash flow just isn't enough to support the value of the area.