• Real Estate Broker
  • Oregon & California Coasts
Votes |
So higher rates are a thing...

AJ Wong
  • Real Estate Broker
Posted Oct 12 2022, 10:46

Just a quick update to all my fellow short term, multi unit or property investors in general..

I've been working closely with both investor specific mortgage brokers and local credit unions on in house portfolio loans for pre-qualifications of several purchase clients. 

With 800+ credit, second home, full documentation, 20-25% down for either a conventional $550K PP or Jumbo $2M PP the quoted rate on a conventional 30 year mortgage was 7.875% & 10.25% respectively! 

There are more creative options available in this stratosphere at or around 6.5% but just an illustration of how historic the acceleration and deterioration of readily available cheap credit has occurred. I'd imagine in January 22 the rate was closer to 5.5%..

I anticipate a complete stall of the luxury real estate market except for those transactions needing or wanting to transfer or liquidate assets and can afford cash purchases at much more reasonable price points. Entry level first time home buyers and conventional affordable rental properties will continue to see demand albeit with considerably less purchase competition and activity.  

We are firmly in the first innings of a transition to a buyer's market and the rebalancing of asset valuations. 

Highly suggest a real estate professional with background and experience in seller financing and other creative financing solutions..for example how does 25% down at 5% interest only for 5 years sound? $375K PP Closed 10/12/22...

Thoughts on this?

If anyone has any lender specific programs for jumbo/super jumbo or second home purchases, you're up...

Fathom Realty  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jason Wray
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Replied Oct 22 2022, 15:18

AJ,

Those rates are high in comparison to other banks especially if you compare them to a Fully Delegated Banks Portfolio Program. Depending on the the occupancy type if you are talking about Second Homes, or Investment properties the down payment should be 5% for Second Homes 95% LTV and 85% LTV with 15% down for SFR or (2-4 Unit) multi-family rental purchases.

A true Portfolio rate is actually 2-3 point's under what you have listed above. Those rates lean a little more towards Non/Qm and lower fico's scores. Unless your pricing with a mortgage broker, mortgage lender then they are accurate. A bigger FDIC bank that offers a true portfolio is well under that rate margin and much lower in down payment in order for the portfolio to be a NICHE program.

User Stats

Votes
Malcomb Stapel
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Topeka, KS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Topeka, KS
Replied Oct 22 2022, 15:47

@Jason Wray  who are you utilizing for your portfolio loans? Feel free to DM if you would rather talk privately. 

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
AJ Wong
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Oct 22 2022, 15:50
Quote from @Jason Wray:

AJ,

Those rates are high in comparison to other banks especially if you compare them to a Fully Delegated Banks Portfolio Program. Depending on the the occupancy type if you are talking about Second Homes, or Investment properties the down payment should be 5% for Second Homes 95% LTV and 85% LTV with 15% down for SFR or (2-4 Unit) multi-family rental purchases.

A true Portfolio rate is actually 2-3 point's under what you have listed above. Those rates lean a little more towards Non/Qm and lower fico's scores. Unless your pricing with a mortgage broker, mortgage lender then they are accurate. A bigger FDIC bank that offers a true portfolio is well under that rate margin and much lower in down payment in order for the portfolio to be a NICHE program.

Happy to provide a few client profiles. If terms are decisively better I have a quintuplet of well qualified clients looking for second home purchase in Oregon. 

Fathom Realty  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Raymond J. Rodrigues
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Miami, FL
Replied Oct 22 2022, 18:17

@AJ Wong

For $550k PP putting 25% down, I see 7% for a second home. 

With 20% down, 7.375%. 

For $2M PP with 20% down, I am seeing 8%.

For $2M PP with 25% down, I am seeing 6.5%.

Helm Mortgage Corp Logo